How to Manage a Busy Life and Find Balance
Written by Christi Given | October 15, 2015
This week, a PI Girl asked how to manage life and all that we have going on. We women love to multitask and to take on a billion things. (Can I get an amen?) Read her post below and click here to join our Girl Talk forum.
“School is starting back [up] and I am stressing just a little bit. I wanted to get some work experience at a psychology clinic, volunteer at church with Sunday school, volunteer at the library with story time for children. I wanted to resume ballet and street-dance and music and drama classes again. They needed some volunteers for the food banks, which seemed really interesting. I also wanted to start up a small study group with some of my friends. My church has this youth group I wanted to check out, too. I never know how some girls just handle it all. They always just have it together. How they do it? If anyone has any tips on handling school and just general organization, it would be a big help.”
Sometimes in life we get so excited to do the neat things that come our way, but there is a balance of learning to say yes to appropriate things that fit the vision for your life and the art of saying no, if it interferes. It is not easy saying no, but sometimes you just need to slow down and rest. Even God rested (Genesis 2:2), so that should be enough to tell us how we need to live. We should have one day that is our Sabbath, where we can restore, rejuvenate and be replenished to pour back into people (Psalm 23). In ministry, even, it can be very much a pouring out of our spirit, energy and heart. We need to refill our spirits to pour back into other people and to stay healthy.
Five Tips for Managing Life Well
1. Learn the art of saying no: It is not easy declining fun invitations, but the truth is we can’t do it all. Have discipline and balance.
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. (Psalm 37:23)
2. Pray: We need to seek God about what we do, and ask God to order your steps if you want to be in His perfect will, and He will guide you.
3. Ask yourself, “Does this align with the purpose and vision for my life?”: Sometimes we get invited to do so many things, but the truth is, there are only so many hours in the day. What is furthering God’s Kingdom? What is helping you finish that degree or master that ballet class? We can easily get distracted…write down the vision for your life and ask God to reveal His call for you personally.
Write the vision
And make it plain on tablets,
That he may run who reads it.
For the vision is yet for an appointed time;
But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie.
Though it tarries, wait for it;
Because it will surely come,
It will not tarry. (Habakkuk 2:2-3)
4. Pick at least one rest day: You MUST rest at least once a week. EVEN GOD RESTED! We need to observe and honor God’s Word. He created our bodies and knows what we need. There is a reason that we have a weekend: The week is supposed to end…get it? 🙂 Learn to slow down. Really, it’s okay.
5. Laugh and live: Sometimes we are SO hard on ourselves. Does your friend ask you, “Netflix and chill?” I believe using wisdom about what you watch and for how much time, but once in a while it’s okay to relax and be a person. Of course guard your eyes and ear gates and refrain from harmful media, but movies and learning about other people’s stories can be motivating and uplifting.
PI Girls, do you have advice for how to manage life in general? Comment below!