How to Overcome Anxiety With the Word of God
Written by Christi Given | February 24, 2017
We all can feel anxious at times or can be uncertain about the future. We all can relate to worry, fear and doubt, but we know these are all contrary to God’s truth and hope for our future. We know that worry only weighs us down and that anxiety is something that Jesus tells us doesn’t add a day to our life (Matthew 6:25-34).
How do we combat anxiety and worry? We must remember that the battle is in our minds and we must take every thought captive into the obedience of Christ. Remember, God’s word tells us to not “lean on our own understanding,” but rather to TRUST God (Proverbs 3:5). When we doubt and have worry, we are essentially bowing down to fear and not believing God’s Word. Yes, it is a battle and is not easy, but that is why the Bible instructs us to have the full armor of God on (Ephesians 6).
When we read God’s Word and are walking in the spirit daily (being mindful of the music, TV, influences and what is speaking into our lives), we will be more aware of the fiery darts that try to attack our spirit, mind and emotions. We need to cast down the thoughts and anxious thoughts, and rejoice in the Lord by thanking Him for what He has already done and will do in faith!
Faith is the opposite of fear, and some say an acronym for FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real. Fear is always opposite of God’s Word. That is why Paul writes in Philippians: “Be anxious for NOTHING, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the PEACE of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-8)
“Every response in our lives is either out of love or out of fear.” —Bill Johnson (Bethel Church)
Five Verses on Overcoming Anxious Thoughts
1. 2 Corinthians 10:5: “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we TAKE CAPTIVE every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”
2. Matthew 6:25-34: “Therefore I tell you, DO NOT worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”
3. James 1:5-8: “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and NOT DOUBT, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is DOUBLE-MINDED and unstable in all they do.”
4. Ephesians 6:13: “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to STAND your ground, and after you have done everything, to STAND.”
5. Psalm 34:4: “I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from ALL my fears.”
PI Girls, when you feel anxious, read and speak God’s Word. I also listen to worship music to combat the lies of the enemy.
What do you do to overcome anxious thoughts? Comment below!
If you would like to contact Christi with any other questions or you need prayer, message her on social media: