How to Witness to Everyone Without Being a Pushy Christian
Written by T.M. Gaouette | January 6, 2015
Ladies, as Christians we are called to witness to others. God wants to share joy in Heaven with all His children. Unfortunately, not all His children choose this end. Some prefer to choose joy now on this earth, through self-fulfillment. Then there are others who are unaware of God’s desire and don’t even know that they have a choice.
If we have found the Truth and we know the way to salvation, then we should share that with others. It’s our Christian duty. But how do we witness to others without becoming the pushy Christian that so many non-Christians accuse us of being? Here are five ways to start you off.
- Be a witness. This means living the Word. And this is the best way to witness. Why? Because it’s one thing to tell someone else how they should be Godly, and another thing to show them. We need to live it genuinely and show others what it really means to be a Christian. Jesus Himself taught this to His disciples in Matthew 5:16, saying, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.”
- Don’t argue. When we get into an argument about faith, it can really put others on the defense. So, be willing to respectfully answer questions about it. Be enthusiastic about sharing the Word, but also know that arguments only lead to people shutting down. This doesn’t mean we need to agree with what’s not true. Make sure the Truth is spoken, but then back off. This makes us more approachable if we ever get into a conversation with that same person in the future.
- Know what you’re talking about. In 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Paul writes, “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.” We can’t teach the faith if we don’t know it. So we must be proficient and knowledgeable in the faith. We need to get to know scripture, open ourselves to counsel with a priest or pastor and always be learning more.
- Witness for God, not ourselves. Witnessing to someone should be about God, not ourselves. Granted, we can each offer an awesome testimony to someone as a way of demonstrating how the Lord worked in our life, but ultimately we should witness about God. We are not the focus. God is. John 1:6-9 reads, “A man named John was sent from God. He came for testimony, to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.”
- Have good intentions. Your desire should be to share God’s amazing Word, as opposed to showing someone where they’re going wrong or showing off your own Christianity.
Ladies, it’s not easy to witness, but it has to be done. We have to reach out to others and share God’s Truth. He’s not just our God, He’s everyone’s God, whether people deny Him or not.
Ladies, do you have a tip for witnessing? Share it with us below.