Back to School
How to Write the Perfect College Admission Essay
Written by Christi Given | January 17, 2017
Many of you may be overwhelmed by the semester’s load of work and feeling the pressure of college application season. For those of you taking the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) or the ACT (American College Test) exam this time of year, you may find that this advice will apply to you.
Below is a compilation from different sources that I have reviewed to give you 10 pieces of advice for writing your very best college admission essay. Let’s start the process and get ready to walk into a year of success in 2017!
10 Tips on How to Write Your Best College Admission Essay
1. Be Unique: Don’t just write what you think that the college wants to hear, but speak from your own individual experiences.
2. Make Your Essay Unforgettable: Include an exciting story or testimonial that will leave a mark on the reader and that will set you apart from other applicants.
3. Be Honest: Being vulnerable about your life, goals, dreams, role models and work ethics is very important when submitting to a college, especially if it is a competitive one.
4. Give Examples: When you express the reasons why you want to attend a specific school, give detailed examples so that it will validate why the school should choose you over another potential student.
5. Identify Your Role Models: Do you have someone who inspired you to want to go to a certain school or major in a specific area of study, or someone who motivated you to take on a certain career path? Explain in your college essay who that is and why you want to follow their example.
6. Include a Letter of Recommendation: Even if the school doesn’t require a letter of recommendation, you should still include it. The more confirmation that you are an excellent student and potential candidate to be accepted, the better!
7. Describe a Highlight Memory: Was there a certain trip you have been on or have you learned something special within the last couple of years? Did you study abroad or have you seen a historical monument that changed your life? Any important highlights that have educated you or impacted you would be a good thing to mention in your college essay. Explain how you look forward to learning more and growing as a student.
8. Don’t Repeat Yourself: Be concise and clear when writing, as many college admins have to read hundreds of essays. So make sure you are detailed, yet you get to the point of what you are trying to say. According to The Princeton Review, it’s not good to repeat yourself, so make sure you proofread your essay prior to submitting it.
9. Add Special Accomplishments or Achievements: If you have special gifts or athletic talent, make sure to indicate that somewhere in the college essay in your experience section. If you have been offered special grants or scholarships, you want the admissions office to know so that you’ll stand out from the crowd of applicants.
10. Proofread Your Essay: Make sure to ask multiple people you trust to read your essay for possible grammatical errors or repetitious statements. Having more eyes on your essay to help it be the best will give you a higher chance of getting into your school of choice!
[Sources: princetonreview.com, baylor.edu]
PI Girls, have you written your essays and submitted your college applications? Comment below!