“I Think I Have a Relationship with Christ, but I Can’t Feel Him! Am I Still a Christian?”
Written by Ask Olivia | March 5, 2014
I say that I have a relationship with Christ and I try so hard. I read the Bible and I pray all the time but I don’t feel anything. I have never had “a moment.” It makes me feel sad a lot. Does that mean that I am not a Christian? Or that I am not saved? What do I do?
Girl, I know being a Christian is hard, especially when you’re surrounded by other Christians who talk about their personal experiences with God. It can be so discouraging when you pray and feel nothing, or listen but hear nothing. Well, there are a couple of things you should know.
- Each relationship with God is different. Everyone has their own personal relationship with Him. And He interacts in our lives in a way He feels is necessary. He may whisper to you, speak to you through a dream, answer a prayer, bring someone into your life, or He may remain silent so that your faith is strengthened.
- Your relationship with Christ is reflected and strengthened in how you live your life. How you act, speak, treat others and so on.
When it comes to salvation, Christian denominations differ to some extent. All agree that God’s Grace saves, but some Christian denominations believe that the act of accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior is enough to save you. Other denominations believe that salvation is an ongoing process that begins at baptism, so you have been saved, are being saved and will be saved.
Anyway, here’s what I think you should do.
- Talk to your priest or pastor about salvation so you can get a better understanding of it.
- Understand that your relationship with Christ is expressed throughout your life. So go to church, take part in youth group, the sacraments, missions and anything else your church has to offer. This way you are learning more about being a Christian while surrounding yourself with like-minded people who can help you strengthen your relationship with Christ.
- Live according to scripture. So when reading your Bible, relate the lessons to your life, such as the way you treat others, act, give, love, marry, everything. Christ calls for you to mimic Him. And in doing so, you’ll understand Him more, and this will draw you closer to Him.
- Pray constantly. And I’m not just talking at meals and at bedtime. Constantly! Prayer can be an ongoing dialogue in your mind. It can occur whenever it feels right and necessary. When you’re stressed, talk to Him. While you’re in school, during a test, taking a walk, and so on. Christ is with you for as long as you ask Him to be there. And just knowing He’s with you always is an amazing comfort, isn’t it?
- See Christ in everything. I mean, everything! See Him in the sun, the rain, the snow, the flowers, babies, love, friendship, silence. He’s in everything. He created everything. And if you see Him in it all, you can make every second a “moment.”
- Don’t compare yourself to others! I know it’s hard. But if you focus on others and their relationships or “moments,” you’re not focusing on yours, and you’ll likely miss them.
God bless and good luck!
Need some advice? Ask your relationship questions in the comments below and I might answer them in a future article!