Beauty & Fashion
Is Back to School Fashion Overrated?
Written by T.M. Gaouette | August 14, 2012
With the start of the school year just around the corner, I’m sure all of you lovely PI girls are shopping the latest and greatest styles–unless, of course, you wear a school uniform or are homeschooled.
Growing up in London, I wore a uniform; the majority of schools required them. We even had a uniform for gym. I didn’t like it, partly because we had to wear these royal blue flared skirts, but I don’t recall hating it.
When we entered sixth form, which is usually at 16–you technically finish school at 15–we could wear straight skirts, which we all looked forward to, and they could be navy, whoo hoo! We did get some days where we could wear civilian clothes, like on school trips, and we really looked forward to those, too.
When my son briefly went to Christian school (I homeschool him now), I was reminded of my uniform days with fondness. I was looking at it from the other perspective. As a parent, uniforms are a stress-free alternative. But as a girl, it also had its many benefits. Consider the following:
- There’s no confusion about school rules when you wear a uniform. So you don’t have to worry if your skirt is too short or your pants are too tight.
- No one can be superficial when they’re dressed the same way as others–at least, not when it comes to clothing. There’s no pressure to make a fashion statement, dress sexy or keep up with current styles. If you’re homeschooled, there’s no peer pressure to keep up with the fashionable popular girls by buying the latest trends.
- School uniforms are great if you feel you’re not a “fashionista.” You actually have an excuse not to be fashionable. And if you’re homeschooled and not interested in fashion? No sweat! You can wear your favorite clothes every day without having to worry about what others will think of your outfits.
- School uniforms allow you to focus on what’s important. This is one of the great things about being homeschooled, too–you don’t have to dress to impress and can focus on your studies.
- Wearing a uniform saves you time. You don’t have to spend hours figuring out what to wear to school or how to coordinate your outfit. You don’t have to worry about not having a wide variety of clothes. School uniforms allow you the freedom to wear the same thing every day without the fear of being ridiculed. If you’re homeschooled, you too don’t have to worry about choosing the perfect look day after day, saving you major time and energy!
- Uniforms save your parents money. Again, keeping up with the current fashions can be expensive and many parents feel pressured into buying the latest styles to please their children.
- And don’t believe the criticism that school uniforms stifle your creativity or uniqueness, because in reality, they allow you to express them in a better way. You shouldn’t be distinguished by what you wear, but by how you act and how you treat others. Your personality makes you who you are. You can’t hide behind your clothes when you’re wearing a school uniform.
So ladies, if you’re depressed about having to wear a school uniform, don’t be. There are so many benefits to wearing them. They save time, stress and the need to fit in. So ultimately, you can focus on more important things, like studying.
[Note from the Editor: Thank you girls for all your wonderful, thoughtful responses to this article! Some of you have expressed that the title was a bit misleading to the content of the article. We totally understand – and apologize for any confusion! We hope that you agree that T.M. wrote a beautiful article and we hope you enjoyed it! Keep the feedback coming! We love to hear what you girls think about our content! Blessings, The PI Team]