Music & Culture
Jenn’s “When Life Is Overwhelming” Playlist
Written by Jenn Arman | July 29, 2014
At Project Inspired, we talk a lot about music. That’s because we know the impact that music can have—it can empower us, inspire us and even change our outlook on situations. Music is powerful!
One of my favorite music programs is Spotify. I use it every day. I’m kind of an organizer, so I have tons of playlists that I’ve created for certain moods. I have playlists I listen to when I’m happy and full of energy, playlists for working out and playlists with some hard rock music when I need to release some tension or frustration.
One of my most used playlists is the one I’ve created for times when life just feels overwhelming. I designed it specifically to help me take my eyes off of what’s going on around me and put my focus back on God. Today, I’m going to share with you 10 songs from that playlist.
Ready? Here we go!
1. “The Wonderful Cross” by Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman. Before I can feel better or relaxed, I need to get my focus right. That’s what the first three songs on this list are about.
2. “In Christ Alone” by Passion featuring Kristian Stanfill. The whole focus of this song is on Christ, where our focus needs to be. It is only in Christ that we can accomplish anything or hope to defeat the enemy.
3. “How Great Thou Art” by Carrie Underwood. No one sings this song like Carrie Underwood. God is greater than my problems and my understanding. He is over everything and by Him everything was created.
4. “10,000 Reasons” by Rend Collective. Matt Redman also does a great version of this song, but recently I’ve been captivated by the softer, melodic harmonies of Rend Collective.
5. “Beautiful Things” by Gungor. When all I can see is the messy state of my life, this song reminds me that God makes beautiful things out of my messiness.
6. “Survival Plan” by Rachel and Wallace Faagutu with Onething. This song has a fun melody and a great message. You can find it on the album Sing Your Praises (Live) by Onething. You can find out more here. Here’s the chorus:
Oh my God, you are my God, there is no other one like you
Early in the morning I will seek and I will find you
My only survival plan, in this weary land
Is to put my weary soul in your hands
7. “Bartimaeus” by Katie Reed. This song reminds me to cry out to God no matter what’s going on around me or what other people are saying to me. You can find the story of Bartimaeus in Mark 10:46-52.
8. “I Am” by David Crowder. Sometimes (okay, always) I need a reminder than God is holding on to me when waves are crashing all around.
9. “Call It Grace” by Unspoken. When I get overwhelmed by life, I tend to get pretty cranky. This song helps me remember that the only reason I am even alive is because of God’s amazing grace.
10. “Alive” by Hillsong Young & Free. Once I’ve got my focus back to where it needs to be, then it’s time to step up the tempo and get ready to face life again.
Girls, what’s your go-to song for when life gets overwhelming?
More Stories Like This on Project Inspired: