Loving Your Inner Beauty Series: Love
Written by Aysha Ives | February 10, 2012
There’s no one more beautiful than a person who is so full of the LOVE OF GOD that it trickles down through him or her to others. Just think about how great it is to see a smiling face and receive words of encouragement when you’re feeling down. Likewise, doesn’t it feel amazing when God uses you to uplift another person?
“God is love” ( 1 John 4:8), so whenever we demonstrate love to others, we’re allowing Jesus to shine through us.
Continuing with our series on inner beauty, let’s explore the inner trait of LOVE:
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails (1 Corinthians 13:4-8).
God delights when He sees His people operating in a spirit in love. In fact, Jesus’ two commandments REQUIRE us to love. Matthew 22:37-40 says this:
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Ask yourself these questions to determine if you’re reflecting love in your everyday life:
- Do you do your best to be patient with other people?
- When you find yourself being impatient, do you quickly stop complaining and try to be more helpful?
- Do you try to be kind, even when a person is mean and seems so “un-loveable?”
- Do you demonstrate a spirit of humility and refrain from boasting about your “things” and accomplishments?
- Are you quick to apologize when you’ve wronged or offended someone?
- Do you focus energy on helping others without always expecting a favor in return?
- Do you forgive others without holding grudges?
- Are you happy when others are successful?
- Do you frequently speak encouragement into the lives of others?
- Do you try to help others when you know they need it?
- Have you ever stood up for someone who was being bullied?
- Do you work on being slow to anger?
If you answered “yes” to 9 or more questions: Good job! It seems that you’re serious about demonstrating the love of Christ to others. Continue to pray and God will continue to use you!
If you answered “yes” to 5-8 questions: It seems that you may sometimes struggle with your “love walk.” Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. The important thing is that you don’t stay there! During your prayer time, ask God to help you demonstrate the love of Jesus more consistently.
If you answered “yes” to 4 or fewer questions: It seems that it’s hard for you to demonstrate a consistent “love walk.” Something in your life may be distracting you from fully experiencing God’s love and showing it to other people. Ask God to help you in this area: “Come near to God and He will come near to you” (James 4:8).
Remember, this quiz is just for fun and isn’t a scientific poll!
Even when it’s hard, showing love is the right thing to do.
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love (1 John 4:7-8).