God called me to make a difference in my school. I obeyed Him and He blessed me. I want to share my story with you about how God used me to share His love with others and my secrets on how you make a difference in your school, too!
Here’s my story…
I was the new kid in town. My family had moved right before school started to help ‘plant’ a new church. I had been in private school all my life, and this would be my first year in public school and in middle school! Pretty scary! But I knew there was nothing I couldn’t do with God on my side.
The minute I walked into the first day of sixth grade at my new school, I knew I needed to make a difference. God wanted me to change the kids in my school and show them His truth. I prayed to God asking him about what He wanted me to do as the next few weeks of school unfolded.
One day as I was walking down the hallway, hurrying so I would make it to class on time, I kind of just stopped and God spoke to me. I looked around me. There were girls dressed in skimpy outfits, crying out for attention. There were girls that were trying to fill that hole in their hearts where God should be with the love of a boyfriend, and they were all so young. I knew then that God wanted me to show these girls what it meant to have a pure heart that was filled with the love and forgiveness of God.
I was scared. I didn’t want to get made fun of. I was already ‘ the new girl’. What would people think of me now? I wanted to start a Christian girls club where girls in my grade could come and learn about God and also have fun! I prayed for a couple of months and then I talked to my choir teacher who is a strong Christian woman. I asked her if she would be the sponsor for the girls club, the adult that is present at each meeting. She said that she would be honored to. Then we asked the principal. She loved the idea, but she said that it would take some time to get the school board to agree — and it sure did.
After a couple of very long months of praying for the school board to agree (the chances were slim), they said yes! I was so excited! My friends and I were literally running up and down the hallways exclaiming about the fact that we could start our club.
The next step was getting everything ready. It took about another month before we could start our club. One day, my friends and I met with our sponsor after school. We created a schedule for each meeting and decided we would meet every other Wednesday. I came up with a name for the club: “Pure Heart Girlz”. Our sponsor assigned us positions and I was named President! How exciting! We started to make posters, and we even got them to announce it on the morning news! Our start date was January 26, 2011.
When January 26, came, our first meeting went super great! For the small town that I live in, the crowd of 30 girls was really good! We had a skit, a game, a lesson, fellowship, prayer and prizes! The girls had lots of fun. After every meeting they were always so excited!
We had a really fun year with the girls! We saw God transform so many of their hearts and it was amazing! They were always asking new questions, they were so hungry for Jesus. It was amazing seeing these girls’ lives change and I wouldn’t trade it for the world!
This summer, I’m working on a curriculum that other girls can use in their school to start a “Pure Heart Girlz”. We’ll have Pure Heart Girlz for the sixth grade girls again next year, and we are even hoping to open it up to seventh and eighth grade girls, too. The school board says it looks doubtful, but remember what they said about Pure Heart Girlz starting in the first place? I know that just like how God made a way last year, He will make one this coming year, also! I know with God on our side, there is no stopping Pure Heart Girlz!!!
That’s my story!
Here are some tips on how you can make a difference in your school!
- Always obey God’s calling! When you obey what God is telling you to do, then He will bless you!
- Pray, pray, pray!!! Prayer is so very important! In prayer, God will reveal to you what it is He wants you to do!
- Look around. God showed me the need for the girls in my school to develop a pure heart! Look around and see what it is the kids in your school are missing!
- Don’t be ashamed! Probably one of the most important things. Some people made fun of me for standing up for God. That was just the Devil trying to get me down. Just because people make fun of you, does not mean you should stop! People made fun of Jesus when He claimed to be the Son of God, didn’t they? They tortured Him as He hung on the cross. Persecution is just a small price to pay for the love and the freedom that was given to us when Jesus gave His life for us!
- Don’t Get Discouraged! I could’ve easily been really discouraged when I wasn’t sure if the school board would approve of my idea! But as I patiently waited and prayed, things turned out better than I had hoped! God always makes a way when it’s His will!
- Always Look Ahead!!! Always be thinking about how you can better share God’s love with others! Our curriculum for other girls to start a Pure Heart Girlz is a good example!
- Be Unstoppable!!! With God on your side, prayer and faith, there is no stopping you! There is no limit to how big of a world-changer you will be!
You can “Like” Pure Heart Girlz on Facebook! We have daily scriptures and encouragement, and you’ll be able to see what we are up to!
Written by Project Inspired Fan Hannah
Do YOU have any ideas on what you could do at home or at school to share the word of God?
Remember this scripture when you go out and serve God:
“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.” -Matthew 5:11