Music & Culture
10 Christian or Faith-Based Films and TV Shows Worth Watching
Written by Christi Given | November 7, 2018
Every week, I choose a different topic from the Facebook chat wall on the private group. You can join here to read, comment and or ask questions or prayer requests. Click here to join our Facebook Girl Talk Group.
Recently, a PI Girl asked if there were good Christian films out this year and also on Netflix.
I want to share about some films that may be in select theaters or that you may not know of. Here is a list of 10 films you can look up to either buy, rent or stream on Netflix.
1. The Bible Series: The 10-part series was on the History Channel and was directed by Mark Burnett and Roma Downey (Touched by an Angel star). Although the series was released in 2013, it is now available on Netflix, which is very exciting! The quality is very much like feature-film quality, so it doesn’t feel like a TV series. The acting, costumes and music are very biblical and wonderfully made.
2. Unbroken: The Path to Redemption: This is the story of Louie Zamperini and is the faith-based version of his story. The story was originally told by Angelina Jolie, but this version shares about how Zamperini’s life was changed at a Billy Graham crusade and tells the story of how his life was glorifying God.
3. Let There Be Light: This film features Kevin Sorbo, who has been in many Christian films. The movie, released in 2017, is about “a famous atheist [who] finds his purpose after a near-death experience.”
4. Mary Magdalene: Universal Pictures released the film in 2017 with actor Joaquin Phoenix and tells the biblical story of Mary’s life.
5. Paul: Apostle of Christ: Sony’s faith film division, Affirm Films, released a movie featuring actor Jim Caviezel, who played Jesus in The Passion of the Christ. Here, Caviezel plays the lead character, Paul. This film was released in 2018, but may not have been in every theater.
6. Samson: This movie is produced by David A. R. White (from Pure Flix), and is on the Book of Judges. It was released in 2018 as well.
7. Connect: Kirk Cameron produced this one. Click on the link to order the movie and to watch the trailer, see photos and more!
8. Christian Mingle: This film is about a girl who ends up on Christian Mingle, but isn’t Christian, and instead of just finding love, she finds God as well.
9. A Question of Faith: Silver Lining Entertainment shares “Question of Faith: When tragedy strikes three families, their destiny forces them on a converging path to discover God’s love, grace and mercy, as the challenges of their fate could also resurrect their beliefs.”
10. Catching Faith: This film is available on Netflix and is the prequel to the movie that the founder of PI, Nicole Weider, will be in, Catching Faith 2. This movie is probably going to be released in 2019, but you can catch the first movie online or on DVD. Here’s the synopsis: “John and Alexa Taylor appear to have the perfect life—they’re the envy of all the parents in town. Their son, Beau, is the high school football star and their daughter, Ravyn, is a straight-A student. But when Beau is caught drinking alcohol, his place on the team and his bright future are on the line. With the football season at stake and the judgmental community turning their backs on them, every member of the Taylor family is at a crossroads. Now, they must find the strength from one another, and the spiritual courage from within, to prove that faith and family is the only score that really matters.”
PI Girls, have you seen any of these movies? If so, which one is your favorite? Comment below!