Beauty & Fashion
Modest Doesn’t Mean Boring: 6 Ways to Spice Up Your Outfits in 2018!
Written by Kytia Lamour | December 27, 2017
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. (Proverbs 31:25)
If you’re anything like me, your tastes change slightly each year, but it’s so hard to keep up with the trends while keeping your outfits modest. I’m in the fashion industry, and many times I’ve had to improvise with layers, textures or standout accessories to keep an artistic flair to my outfits without compromising my personal boundaries.
I want to show you some of the ways I’ve added pizzazz to otherwise ho-hum wardrobe pieces. Remember, modest doesn’t have to mean boring! Without further ado, here are six ways to spice up your outfits.
1. Mixing textures. I’m pretty sure many of you have a plaid button-down shirt in your closet. We usually pair it with jeans and keep it simple. Well, believe it or not, plaid shirts look amazing with feminine skirts. I love the texture of this faux-leather pleated skirt and fringe necklace. Pop on some heels and you’ve just elevated your laid-back style.
2. Bold prints. If you normally shy away from prints, I don’t blame you. It’s not until recently that my closet has gotten some new additions like this. There are colors I’m drawn to, and instead of going with a solid or stripe, I’m learning to incorporate a palette I love into an all-over print. It’s almost as if the outfit itself comes with accessories since you can’t take your eyes off of it.
3. Denim on denim. If you have a few denim items in your wardrobe, don’t hesitate to wear them together. This can make a standout ensemble, especially if each piece is a different wash or color. Pick out some cute jewelry and your favorite sunnies to add a pop of sparkle.
4. Monochromatic looks. Since I’m already sharing about being matchy-matchy, let’s take it up a notch and talk about a look that’s all one color. You’re used to seeing all-black looks, but you can also try this with reds, pinks, blues or pretty much any hue. Add some bold accessories like a statement necklace or turban for a super-chic twist.
5. Eccentric shoes. Have you ever styled an entire outfit based on a pair of shoes? I have! I figure most of you have your classic heels, sandals, sneakers and booties. The next time you go shopping, keep an eye out for shoe textures, shapes or colors that really pop. These fringe numbers make me want to dance!
6. Cozy layers. Some will say “beauty is pain,” but I don’t think that has to be the case. You don’t have to sacrifice comfort in order to look stylish. Recently I flew across the country and I was able to look put-together the entire flight without having to wear my usual leggings and an oversize top. If you have a dress you love and a sweater to match it, try pairing them together the next time you’re at the movies or on the go. It helps if the dress or sweater has a cute print.
I loved sharing my style with you! Which tip helped you the most? Let me know in the comments below!