Beauty & Fashion
Modest Style Tips for Larger Busts
Written by T.M. Gaouette | July 6, 2012
PI ladies, dressing modestly is a very important responsibility of Christian girls who desire to please God. Some of you have had questions regarding tips for figures with a larger bust size. I’m sure it’s not easy shopping for apparel when even some modest clothing can look immodest because you have a large bust.
Don’t be disheartened, though! I do have some tips on modest dressing for you young ladies with larger bust sizes.
- Invest in good bras that support you and are comfortable–the wrong size bra actually will make your bust look larger. Consider getting a professional fitting. Also, check out our post on undergarments for modesty tips.
- No thin straps.
- Wear an extra layer to create more of a blended appearance. Tank tops are always great to add under shirts.
- Choose the right neckline. Some designs, such as crew, cowl and sweetheart necklines, will accentuate your bust size–they should be avoided. Scoop, halter and V-neck designs show cleavage. Turtlenecks also will make your bust look larger. Square or rectangular necklines are modest, as long as they are high enough above the bust to avoid showing cleavage.
- Avoid too-tight or clinging tops, as well as loose or baggy tops; the former will accentuate your bust size and the latter will make it look larger. Select tailored dresses or tops that have a shape.
- Thicker fabrics provide a layer that smooths the shape of your figure.
- Avoid horizontal stripes and overly large or busy prints at all costs. They will increase your bust size. Instead, opt for dark colors or prints, at least from the waist up.
- Empire waists will highlight your bust area, so choose dresses with a lower waist. The same rule goes for wearing belts.
Again, don’t get discouraged after reviewing the list above. Shop around until you find the designs that meet your needs and remember the stores you had the most luck at for future trips. You may want to shop around online first so you’re not running from store to store. And never leave shopping for a specific event to the last minute!
You may also want to learn how to sew or invest in fun accessories so you can make simple alterations to your tops and dresses. A good tip is to buy garments that fit the bust area well but require adjusting at the waist and under the arms. With dresses, you can take the waist in with a belt or scarf. This looks cute with shift dresses.
Don’t be embarrassed. God designed you, so be pleased with your figure. Just make sure that you dress with modesty, especially in the summer, so that your appearance is also pleasing to Him.
Ladies, do you have a larger bust and find you have problems shopping for modest clothing? Do you have additional tips for other PI girls?