Money Isn’t the Only Way to Give Back, By PI Girl Anna
Written by Anna Moklyak | January 12, 2014
A lot of you girls have been asking, “What can I do to give back when I have no money?” I totally understand that not everyone has financial stability. Here are some ideas for what you CAN do!
1. Visit people downtown. I suggest you gather a small group for this with at least two guys who are around 20 years old, and head downtown. Do this around 6-10 p.m. I suggest you bring a Bible with you. The gift of communication is SO STRONG, girls. Go up to someone and just say, “Hi! How are you?”
The first time I did this, I met a man named Joshua who was 26 years old, living on the cold streets of Portland. All I did was walk up to him and ask who he was and if he knew Jesus. From that point, we spent more than an hour discussing the Bible. Some people WILL PUSH YOU AWAY. That is their defense mechanism. But stay in your spot if it’s safe to do so.
Joshua saw that I wasn’t going anywhere and started opening up to me. I read the Bible to him. I answered his questions to the best of my ability. In the end I held his hand as we prayed. And then I asked him for a hug. The response I got from him broke my heart. Girls, people pass by this man every day wanting not to be near him. Joshua was astounded when I wanted to hug him. The homeless don’t usually get hugs from people! Anything you have helps them. I’m talking about even a pencil. A lot of them want pencils to write in their Bibles or journals if they have one. It’s such a blessed experience. Truly.
2. Send a text message. You can make someone’s day in 10 seconds! Bring someone to God in a short text. Try typing random numbers into your phone with a message like “God Loves You!” And maybe even a verse. That’s all it takes to bring someone to Christ, to show them some support. You never know what the person on the other end is going through!
3. Smile and wave. I cannot stress this enough! Are you going to a store? Smile! Start a conversation! Show someone just how much you care!
4. Write thank-you notes. So you went out to eat? Why not leave a “thank you and a verse” on the receipt? Maybe you like the server’s eyes or hair. Maybe his or her smile was especially attractive. Or maybe the person seemed down. No matter what it is, POINT THESE THINGS OUT! You have no idea how much a compliment or a thank you can mean to someone!
5. Donate. Do you have that one jacket you never wear? Or that extra pair of shoes? Maybe a super cute bracelet that you never seem to find the right occasion for? Try donating some things to a local thrift shop or donation center. Look online to find many sources where you can come and drop off old books, clothing, even some canned food. With the cold season here, a jacket or a sweater can mean the world to someone.
6. Pray! Girls, prayer is a wonderful thing. While this should probably be a regular thing, I understand that not a lot of girls find the time to pray for everyone who has asked them to. Try to keep a journal in which you write down all of the requests people have asked of you. And then find the time to just sit down and truly pray for them. Maybe set a day apart just for prayer. Pray and read. While these people might not be aware of your gift to them, you’ll be helping them! Pray for your friends and family even if they’re not struggling. Maybe even click the News button on Google and just scroll and see what’s been going on. You never know…maybe you’ll find someone in need of your prayers!
7. LOVE! Lastly, show people love. Show them who you are. Show them who your Father is! Be patient with each other and embrace your calling.
Written by PI Girl Anna
Do you have words of wisdom you want to share with the PI community? Submit your own article here!