Music & Culture
My Favorite Inspirational Movie Quotes!
Written by T.M. Gaouette | March 27, 2012
Movies can be very influential and can even change your life—or at least get you started in thinking about it. Sometimes it doesn’t take the whole movie. It can be a single powerful scene or a quote that remains instilled in your memory.
The following are top 10 movie quotes that have inspired me in my life.
1. The character Nathan Hayes in the movie Courageous talks to a fellow cop about making mistakes. The younger man tries to justify his current bad behavior by saying that he’s done a lot of good things in his life.
The Bible says that God is a good judge, and He will punish the guilty, not for what they did right, but for what they did wrong. (Nathan Hayes–Courageous).
We cannot assume that God will give us a pass on our bad actions because we have done good in our lives. Sure, people make mistakes, but we have to strive to be better in everything we say and everything we do.
2. Also from Courageous is another quote that I love. Adam is talking to his son when he says:
I don’t feel like I started well. I want to finish well. (Adam Mitchell–Courageous).
This is another example of how we should learn from our mistakes. We need to be honest with ourselves as we continue in our journey with Christ. And where we see weakness, we should adjust.
3. The movie Facing the Giants has a lot of thought-provoking one-liners. But the following is just so full of truth. Coach Mitchell is talking to his team during football practice when he says this:
Your attitude’s like the aroma of your heart. If your attitude stinks, your heart’s not right. (Coach Mitchell–Facing the Giants)
Our hearts reflect our true feelings and our feelings are revealed through our attitude. In order to change our attitude, we have to work on changing our heart.
4. Soul Surfer tells the true story of Bethany Hamilton, a young surfer who loses an arm in a shark attack. In an emotional scene after the tragedy, Hamilton looks to her youth leader, Sarah, for answers. Sarah responds:
“I don’t know why terrible things happen to us sometimes. But I have to believe that something good is going to come of this.” (Sarah Hill—Soul Surfer)
5. In times of struggle, we look for answers that aren’t always available. This is where our faith is truly tested. Hamilton continues to struggle, but by the end of the movie, she comes upon a beautiful revelation:
I could never have embraced this many people with two arms. (Bethany Hamilton—Soul Surfer)
Our eyes are often opened following adversity. When Hamilton loses her arm, she realizes that her limb didn’t determine who she was and what she was capable of doing. She became an inspiration to millions of people who not only lost limbs but lost their spirit and their faith.
6. Jeremiah Biggs is the young preacher’s son in the movie, The Preacher’s Wife. This is a great movie with lots of wonderful quotes, but I love this one because, again, it’s about faith, and it’s spoken by a child:
Just because you can’t see the air doesn’t keep you from breathing. And just because you can’t see God doesn’t keep you from believing. (Jeremiah Biggs—The Preacher’s Wife)
Faith is the epitome of Christianity. Without it, we would likely give up in times of adversity. We need faith in God in order to remain devoted to him. The stronger our faith, the more we’ll see God in everything.
7. Michael Simmons is a character in one of my favorite Sherwood Picture movies, Fireproof. In a heart to heart about marriage between Capt. Caleb Holt and Lt. Michael Simmons, the latter says:
When most people promise ‘for better or for worse,’ they only mean for the better. (Michael Simmons—Fireproof)
This is so true. We have seen this so often in Hollywood marriages. All marriages can survive the good times, but it’s during the bad times that they’re really tested.
8. To Save a Life is a very emotional story about a young teen who has to deal with a number of life changing events. They take a toll on him, and he meets a youth leader, Chris Vaughn, who tries to help him through it.
Maybe your life was always falling apart, but now you’re starting to care. (Chris Vaughn—To Save a Life)
How often do we continue to destroy our own lives with bad choices and negative behavior, without understanding the consequences? This movie reminds me that we have control of our own lives. We have to open our eyes to recognize where we are going wrong in order to straighten our path.
9. A Walk to Remember is one of those good girl meets bad boy stories. In this movie, though, a surprising change takes place. In an emotional scene between Jamie Sullivan and Landon Carter, our heroine says:
Maybe God has a bigger plan for me than I had for myself. Like this journey never ends. Like you were sent to me because I’m sick. To help me through all this. You’re my angel. (Jamie Sullivan—A Walk to Remember)
Oftentimes, it’s during moments of hardship that we forget that God has a plan for us. Jamie has a strong relationship with God, so she looks for the good in everything that’s bad. This scene is very touching because for Landon, Jamie is the angel.
10. Another fantastic movie with wonderful lines is, The Blind Side, which was based on a true story. This quote is from an essay written by the character, Michael:
I mean any fool can have courage. But honor, that’s the real reason you do something or you don’t. Its’ who you are and maybe who you want to be. (Michael Oher —The Blind Side)
Michael is from a dysfunctional background. He is a boy of few words and has a hard time learning, but his essay is very insightful. Courage needs honor in order for it to be strengthened with integrity.
These are my most favorite movie quotes! I hope you enjoyed them and urge you to watch any of the movies above if you haven’t yet seen them.
Do you have a favorite movie quote that you find inspiring?