My parents don’t believe in God and I desperately want them to! I know that I can’t force Jesus on them and that they have to experience Him for themselves, but I desperately want them to know God! What should I do?
It’s really tough when you’ve developed a relationship with Jesus and your family and friends are still lagging behind in that area. It’s even tougher when they refuse to listen to you when you try to tell them all about God’s AMAZING glory! Every believer wants their family and friends to also be believers, so what do you do when those who are closest to you DON’T believe?
I think every believer has been in this same situation at one time or another. I myself currently have family and friends whom I SO want to experience a committed relationship with Jesus. Unfortunately, they’re still blinded by Satan’s deception. So this is what I’ve learned to do…I think these tips will help you, too!
- Love them even MORE! Use every opportunity to first demonstrate God’s love toward your parents. For example, when you and your parents disagree about an issue, instead of arguing with them, remember to respond in a Godly and respectful manner. You could also try doing extra chores to help out around the house and even go out of your way to be kind and helpful. Of course, you want to be genuine about what you do, but BE THE EXAMPLE OF CHRIST in your home. Trust me, your family will notice the difference and when they do, that’ll be a GREAT time to talk about the goodness of God!
- Try not to be too critical. When we see people engaging in ungodly behavior, we sometimes have a tendency to be critical toward them. All of us have been guilty of this at one time or another. However, when we criticize unbelievers, that’ll just give them more of an excuse not to believe. Although it is important that people are held accountable and that they HEAR the Word of God, we should always interact with them in a Godly and loving manner. I’ve learned to give examples of my own life instead of being accusatory. For example, if someone is very angry about something, I’ll tell them a story about a time when I was angry and then describe how God’s love for me took the anger away and replaced it with joy.
- Don’t take it too personally. When people refuse to listen to you about God, don’t take it personally. It’s NOT you they’re rejecting, they’re rejecting Gods Word because they’re feeling convicted. Deep down in every person, they know the Truth about Jesus, but Satan has deceived many people. When people reject what you have to say about God, just love them even more! Eventually the light will shine through the darkness!
- Remember that GOD does the growing. 1 Corinthians 3:6 says “I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow.” It’s the job of you as the believer to plant and water the seed by sharing the love of God with your family (through words and actions), but it’s up to God to grow it! You continue to set the Godly example and TRUST that God will do what He does best! Keep your faith activated for their salvation.
- Don’t give up on them! Never give up on your family! Always remember that God will grant your heart’s desire and He’ll save your household. Pray for your family DAILY, love them, and speak the Word in a loving manner whenever the opportunity presents itself, and watch God come through!
It’s tough when your family isn’t close to God, but trust me, God can and will deliver them! Does anyone else have any suggestions?