As a teenager and young adult, I knew very little about the different attributes of God. I was taught about The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit, but I had poor knowledge of the TRUE magnificence of our GOD! I know that we won’t have a complete understanding of all of God’s glory until we join Him in Heaven; however, we do know this:
Every good and perfect gift is from God (James 1:17).
God is our helper, healer, provider, friend, comforter, and a host of other things. The original Hebrew Bible describes God by many different names which glorify His many different attributes.
I’ve learned to use these names when praying about different situations in my life. For instance, when I need healing, I call on the name of God that represents healing; when I need financial help, I talk to God using the name that represents provider; when I’m feeling alone, I pray to the name of God that represents friend. Or I just call out all of His names depending on the situation. Learning to do this has changed my life tremendously!
Here’s just one of my many testimonies. I needed a new car for transportation for myself and my son; however, at the time, a down payment just wasn’t in my budget. During Bible Study, my Pastor taught about using the different names of God during prayer. I decided to make a list of God’s names and I prayed in FAITH that night. Two days later, I had the money I needed for the down payment. Now that’s the power of God!
Knowing and using God’s names has been very powerful in my life, so I wanted to share this with you. Once God began to reveal Himself more fully to me in this area, my relationship with Him changed. There are so many attributes of God and below is a list of just some of His names as reflected in the original Hebrew text. Try using these names when you’re really trying to get a prayer through to God.
The Names of God:
- Jesus: Our Savior
- Yeshua: The Hebrew name for Jesus
- Christ: The Anointed One
- Yahweh (YHWH): The covenant name of God. Some Jewish traditions believe that this name is too holy to be spoken
- Jehova: This name is used as an English substitute for Yahweh
- Adonai: Lord or Master. This has been used as the plural form of Yahweh and Jehovah
- Jehovah-Jireh: Provider
- Jehovah-Rapha: Healer
- Jehovah-Nissi: Miracle Worker
- Jehovah-M’Kaddesh: Reflective of The One who makes you whole and sets you apart for holiness
- Jehovah-Shalom: Lord of peace
- Jehovah-Rohi: Shepherd. A friend
- Jehovah-Shammah: Restorer
- Jehovah-Sabaoth: Denotes God’s sovereignty over every spiritual and earthly army. The King of Heaven and Earth
- Elohim: God. Creator. Judge
- El Shaddai: God Almighty or All Sufficient One. Refers to God’s ability to completely satisfy ALL of our needs
- El Elyon: Most High. Expresses the supremacy of God
- Kanna: Jealous. Reflects God’s marriage to the church. He wants us to put no one before Him
- El-Olam: Everlasting God
This is only a partial list of names, so you may want to do some research to get a more complete list. Remember that Satan tries to distract, so if you’re doing an online search, be sure that you find a reputable website that’s in line with the Bible!