“I just told a really special guy I like him. He basically said he didn’t feel the same way about me (only in nicer words). What do I do now?”
Oh, sweet girl. This is the worst feeling, right? You pretty much opened your heart up to this guy and he quashed it.
Unrequited love! All the best poets have written about it. But you need to think of this more positively. Often we pine over someone for so long, holding in our feelings and wondering if…if you should tell him…if he will like you back…if he will reject you. And that state of not knowing is so draining. Well, guess what? You plucked up the courage to tell it like it is. Okay, he rejected you, in the nicest possible way, but at least you know now, right? At least you know that this guy is not the one.
Well, now you don’t have to waste your time wondering. You can pick yourself up and get on with your life.
So here’s what I think you should do.
- Let it go. Come to terms with the fact that this guy is not the one and be okay with that. This rejection doesn’t mean that you’re not going to find your future husband. This just tells you that this isn’t him.
- Busy your mind. If you keep yourself busy with hobbies, friendships and church activities, it’ll be easier to get over this guy. It’ll also be easier to bear the wait.
- Know that this isn’t about you. So please don’t let this bring you down or make you question your self-worth. God has a plan for your life, and this guy’s not in it.
- Be careful about revealing your feelings in the future. As I wrote before, guys are pretty open about their feelings. If he doesn’t straight out tell you he likes you, he’ll offer up some signs. 7 Signs That He Is SUPER Into You is a great post to check out. But do me a favor: Don’t read way into some of these signs. I’d add that a guy will show at least five of these signs if he is interested in you.
- Read your Bible. Doing so will remind you that life is about God and everything you do is for Him. We often consume ourselves with other people and things, and God gets set on the back burner when we’re supposed to place Him above everything, including that cute guy! Focus on God and everything else will fall into place!
- Pray for patience. I know it’s easier said than done. But once you realize that your life and its events are based on God’s plan and not yours, it will be easier to bear the disappointments that come with the blessings.
Good luck and God bless!
Need some advice? Ask your relationship questions in the Ask Olivia Girl Talk forum or in the comments below and I might answer them in a future article!