Music & Culture
Proof that Emma Watson Is the PERFECT Belle!
Written by Julie Partin | April 30, 2015
You probably already know that Emma Watson will be playing Belle in Disney’s live-action Beauty and the Beast. Even though the film isn’t coming out until March 2017 (!), we can’t stop thinking about how excited we are and how much casting nailed it by choosing Emma! Here are just a few reasons why.
1. Emma looks just like Belle! With her gorgeous brown eyes and silky brown hair, Emma already resembles Belle with zero special effects or makeup needed.
2. Belle is pretty much a feminist, just like Emma. Of all the Disney heroines, Belle was always really progressive. She loved knowledge and learning. She yearned for adventure, more than just being the wife of a handsome man she didn’t love. She stood up for her father when others thought he was crazy and sacrificed herself for him. Belle didn’t fit and she didn’t mind being fiercely herself. It sounds like if Belle was on Twitter, she might have started the hashtag #HeForShe. Sound similar?
3. Emma has proven that she can play a bookworm. You might have seen Emma play an insanely intelligent young woman in a movie before. I don’t know…maybe in SEVEN different Harry Potter films as Hermione Granger?!
4. She loved the Beauty and the Beast cartoon as a kid just as much as we did! See this post from her Facebook page:
5. She secretly sings! This is going to be just like the time Jennifer Lawrence surprised everyone with her amazing voice singing “The Hanging Tree” in The Hunger Games. Apparently Emma has been singing for years, but has never had a role that called for it. She told Total Film magazine: “I sing, so that’s really unexpected. I’ve never had to do that for a film role before, and I think people will be interested to see me do something very different like that. It gives me a different challenge, really. That’s terrifying in and of itself!”
Are YOU as excited as we are to see the new Beauty and the Beast movie? Do you agree that Emma is the perfect Belle?