Hi Nicole and Project Inspired writers. I LOVE YOUR BLOG SO MUCH! You’re doing such an awesome job uplifting our beloved God! My question is a little different. I’ve been wanting to create my own blog for some time now, but I don’t know where to begin! I want my blog to be reflective of my personality but still glorifying to God. Could you could give me some advice about how to start? Any ideas about what to write, what not to write, how to get topics, and things like that would be really helpful. Thanks!
I’d like to thank you for the wonderful compliments about Project Inspired! All of the writers here are passionate about using our writing gifts to glorify God. We’re excited that you also want to write about our beloved God! Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Pray first! Before you begin to write any article, ask The Holy Spirit to guide you. God will reveal to you what it is that you should write about to help meet the needs of your readers.
- Brainstorm. Think about what it is that you actually want to share with your readers. Choose specific topics for each post so that you don’t overwhelm your audience. For example, you could choose to discuss God’s love, how important it is to be obedient to God, what it means to be a Christian, etc. There’s no limit to what you can write about as long as it is Biblically sound. However, make sure that each post is limited to one specific topic.
- Choose a catchy title. Your title is the first thing that readers see and it’s what catches their attention. Your title will often help readers decide if they’ll continue reading or not. Make sure that you make a strong first impression with a great title.
- Write honestly and with passion. Write about things that you’re most passionate about. Choose topics that you like to write about. For example, if your writing voice is stronger when you write about certain aspects of God verses other attributes, then try focusing on those areas to start. As your blog grows, you might consider broadening your areas to keep your readers engaged.
- Try not to be too preachy. It’s important to share the Gospel with your readers; however it’s equally important to say it with love. People will respond better to articles that teach and share the Gospel in a positive way. But you should never “water down” the Gospel. You shouldn’t change what God says just to get people to read your blog. Repeat what God says, just do it in a loving manner.
- Remember to educate YOURSELF first. If you’re trying to teach your peers about God, make sure that you’re sharing accurate information. We never want to accidentally lead someone astray. If you have any questions or if you’re unsure about something that you’d like to write about, try asking your parents, pastor, or bible study teacher for clarity first.
- Be sure to update your blog regularly. Your goal is to get readers to come back to your blog often, so be sure to add new articles as frequently as you can.
- Promote your blog! Once you’ve written your blog, be sure to promote it. Tell everyone that you know about it! Send emails to family and friends. You might even want to add a signature line with a link to your blog in all of your outgoing emails. Try promoting your blog using social media such as Facebook and/or Twitter. Business cards are also inexpensive ways to promote your blog.
Good luck with starting your new blog. Does anyone else have any suggestions?