Inspiration

Q&A – What Are Good Books to Read When You Need to Feel Inspired?

Question:

What are good books to read when you need to feel inspired?

Answer:

Here are my five favorites.

The Language of God by Francis Collins

A Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Chicken Soup for the Soul: A Book of Miracles by Jack Canfield

The Reason for God by Timothy Keller

Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo

And saving the best for last, The Bible- God’s true word which is flawless and endures forever!

Girls, share your favorite inspirational books in the comments below so that we have a list we can always refer to for great ideas!

Image: iStockphoto

You must be logged in to post a comment.

157 Comments

1. Posted by on September 12, 2011 at 17:04

I really like the Notes from a Spinning Planet series and the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, both by Melody Carlson!

2. Posted by on September 11, 2011 at 11:05

ANYTHING by Melody Carlson is great. ^-^ She’s my second favorite author.

3. Posted by on September 7, 2011 at 04:25

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Posted by on September 6, 2011 at 21:40

karen kingsbury has some awesome books that will make you laugh and cry
    LOri wick i love all her books but my favorite is the princess and also white choclate moments and sophies heart. ted deckers the circile trilogy is also pretty awesome

5. Posted by on August 30, 2011 at 02:19

I love Radical by David Platt. It really inspires you and makes you want to do something for God. πŸ™‚

• Posted by on September 5, 2011 at 06:36

homeless Bird is a really good book too. its about a young girl named koli and she grows up on her own and b comes a young woman when she finds true love. its a really inspiring book for girls.

6. Posted by on August 29, 2011 at 17:08

OMGoodness! I absolutely LOVE Language of God! I have a lot of friends who use scientific arguments against faith, and that book has given me so many facts to use against them πŸ˜‰ I also super love any Karen Kingsbury book, I’ve read 26 of them. Although she writes about some heavy stuff! I’m pretty young to be reading about some things she writes about (I’m 13) but I still think they’re spectafantabulous πŸ™‚ Robin Jones Gunn and Beverly Lewis books are also some of my favorite Christian books, and I know this isn’t books, but whenever I want to be inspired, I listen to Rich Mullins or Steve Taylor music. Sometimes I just read the lyrics to their songs as if it was a book πŸ˜‰

• Posted by Nicole on August 29, 2011 at 22:53

you are so smart Kaitlyn! I am so happy you’ve read the book too! Share it with your friends!!

7. Posted by on August 26, 2011 at 17:19

When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin is always a good read…actually anything written by him : )

8. Posted by on August 25, 2011 at 01:38

I love the books Redeeming Love and Lineage of Grace (this is actually 5 books in one) by Francine Rivers. You might want to ask your parents if you can read them because there is a lot of sexual content. I also love the series that is written by Nancy Rue called “Real Life”. And the ‘Nama Beach High series. I read a lot of books! πŸ™‚

9. Posted by on August 20, 2011 at 20:27

Sorry @ Monica i didnt look at the other comments:P

10. Posted by on August 20, 2011 at 20:26

The christy miller series is really inspiring! i dont remember the authors name but shes amazing. the books are really inspirational and motivating. haha me and christys hawaiian names are even alike Kilikina(:

11. Posted by on August 20, 2011 at 15:31

the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn is a christian novel series that i really enjoyed. It taught me to hold out for Mr. Right

12. Posted by on August 18, 2011 at 14:42

Another really great and inspiring book is 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper. Give it a try!

13. Posted by on August 16, 2011 at 15:47

Read Jerry Eicher’s Amish books! They’re great!! πŸ˜€

14. Posted by on August 16, 2011 at 11:49

I love the book “Totally God’s bye Megan Clinton” its one of my favorite christain books! i have read it over and over its a guide to faith friends family and helps with guy issues to

• Posted by Nicole on August 16, 2011 at 13:11

that sounds very interesting! thanks Samantha I’ll check it out!

15. Posted by on August 12, 2011 at 11:22

Another series that was pretty good was the Wives of King David series by Jill Eileen Smith-Michal, Abigail, Bathsheeba. i dont think there were any others, only those three. but they were interesting and insightful.
    haha sorry for commenting so much, but i read a lot πŸ˜›

16. Posted by on August 11, 2011 at 17:45

Case for a creator: Lee Strobel

The case for Christ: Lee Strobel (I got the student editions)

Guys Are Waffles, Girls Are Spaghetti: Chad Eastmam (Interesting read)

Say hello to Courtship: Joshua Harris

I kissed dating Goodbye: Joshua Harris

Smart Girls, smart choices: Megan Clinton
    My Christian fiction list:
    Any book by Melody Carlson (I strongly recommend The diaries of Catlin O’conner)

Beautiful: Cindy Martinusen-Coloma (Really good story…makes us see how true beauty is within and from God)

• jones.dana46

Posted by jones.dana46 on November 15, 2011 at 12:39

Oh my gosh! I love Lee Strobel and Melody Carlson both. I just finished the Chloe Miller diaries and they were amazing!!!

• Posted by on August 11, 2011 at 17:46

Oops! I meant Chad Eastman.

17. Posted by on August 11, 2011 at 12:18

My sister and mom say the Left Behind series is really good and it’s Christian and it kind of helps you understand what’s coming up in life πŸ™‚ I haven’t read it yet but I might try!

18. Posted by on August 9, 2011 at 17:50

I love “Heaven is for Real” suchhh an aamazing story! God is so powerful!

19. Posted by on August 9, 2011 at 04:02

I’m spreading Project Inspired on Facebook just add me: Lili Amerie Domfeh and I’m making a page and it’s going to be titled: Club Inspired Hates Cosmopolitan. πŸ™‚

20. Posted by on August 9, 2011 at 03:46

hey nicole i’m doing it though but my sister is being a pest

21. Posted by on August 8, 2011 at 18:08

God Girl – Hayley DiMarco (She also has a Bible just for girls called “God Girl Bible” and devotionals along with other books for different struggles. Check them out at hungryplanet.com)

22. Posted by on August 8, 2011 at 16:37

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Christian Teen Talk – Jack Canfield
    The Redemption Series – Karen Kingsbury (for older teens and adults)
    Jonothan Livingston Seagull – Richard Bach (very philosophical)

23. Posted by on August 8, 2011 at 14:16

I started reading warriorchicks by holly wagner. It’s really good. I love reading it.

24. Posted by on August 8, 2011 at 06:35

Nicole is the best person you can ever talk to. She’s the best and you can tell her anything without being shy. Isn’t she great, Reply and post on a different page if you agree!!!
    WE LOVE YOU NICOLE!!!!!!!

• Posted by Nicole on August 8, 2011 at 12:58

Lily you just made my day!!! thank you so much, I love you too Lily!!!

• Posted by on August 9, 2011 at 04:12

I’M MAKING TWO FACEBOOK PAGES ENTITLED: CLUB INSPIRED HATES COSMOPOLITAN AND CLUB INSPIRED ROCKS!

• Posted by Nicole on August 16, 2011 at 14:23

haha I LOVE it!! you are so cute!!

• Posted by on August 9, 2011 at 03:49

My baby sister sends her kisses me too πŸ™‚ πŸ˜€

• Posted by Nicole on August 16, 2011 at 14:27

aww so cute!! give her a kiss from me too!!

25. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 18:25

The Centurion’s Wife by Janette Oke and Davis Bunn was a very good book! There are more in the series, but I haven’t gotten around to reading them yet. Also, I’ve watched the movies to all the Love Comes Softly series based of the books by Janette Oak. I don’t know if the books are as good as the movies, but they were very inspiring!

26. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 17:59

-Soul Surfer & Soul Surfer Devotions by Bethany Hamilton
    -Yada Yada House of Hope Series by Neta Jackson (4 books, at least 300 pages each, read them in less than 3 weeks I do believe, a week of that down in S. CA for vacation)
    -Best, the Bible… I like reading Romans and Proverbs a lot.
    -City on Our Knees by tobyMac
    -He Did This Just For You by Max Lucado
    You should REALLY read the House of Hope series though, SOOOOOO good and inspiring!!!!!!!!

27. Posted by ParisHolt on August 7, 2011 at 16:25

Another good book is Trouble In My Way! You guys will love it!

28. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 16:05

“We love Him because He first loved us.”
    1 John 4:9-10

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
    Deuteronomy 31:6

“And Jesus said unto them … , “If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to younder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible to you.”
    Romans 1:17

“Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
    Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
    A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.”
    Psalm 91 5-7

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
    John 3:16

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 16:07

Thank you so much kristin, you just inspired me!!

29. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 15:53

The Purpose Driven Life is a very dangerous book… it has a lot of references to New Age theology and a lot of doctrine views that are taken out of context. Rick even uses one of the most flawed and humanistic interpretation of the Bible, The Message, for his scripture references — and then says that there’s no translation of the Bible that is 100% right — so we’re lucky to have the hundreds of translations we have today to be able to piece the “true” meaning of scripture back together. I also must say, I was disappointed to see that you didn’t include the Bible on your list of inspiring reads… Psalms and Song of Solomon are two of the most inspiring books in the Bible in my opinion. And you can’t forget some of the other inspiring scriptures — because the whole book is great. I’ll list a few of my favorite scriptures in another post because I think this one is already too long lol!

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 20:05

I loved the Purpose Driven Life.

30. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 15:42

I LOVE Heaven is for Real by todd burpo I feel like God was reasurring me that you know He is for real and I’m not just living by another religion it made my faith grow stronger I love the book so much!

31. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 15:40

The Perfect Life! It’s a christian book about a women who thinks her life is perfect but then rumors start about her husband cheating on her, nd now she’s at a test of faith! I love it! πŸ™‚

32. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 14:25

My favorite inspiring books for teen girls is The Christy Miller Series by Robin Jones Gunn. And if you finish that, the Katie Weldon Series is the sequel.

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 18:30

She has another sequel series, the Sierra Jensen series, and after that comes Christy and Todd: the College Days
      I read the Christy Miller series and most of the Sierra Jensen before I stopped. A few months ago I found out about the Katie series and the College series but I had forgotten what had happened. I wanted to reread the CM series, but my library stopped carrying them πŸ™

33. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 13:47

Do Hard Things (Alex Collins/Brett Collins)
    Anything by Max Lucado
    Anything by Joyce Meyer

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 15:57

I’ve never read anything by Joyce Meyer- I’ll check out her books!

34. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 12:35

I really like
    Lies That Young Women Believe
    By Nancy Lee DeMoss & Dannah Gresh
    Its really good πŸ˜€

35. Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 11:24

The book that Bethany Hamilton wrote. It’s inspiring to read her story and see how much she praises God in her hardest trail.

36. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 22:06

Crazy Love by Francis Chan is a great Non Fiction book
    Hurt Healer by Tony Nolan is great too!
    Unlocked by Karen Kinsbury is AMAZING!!!!
    My favorite christian book series is the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn. Seriously, read them!!!! They are absolutely incredible! Its fiction, but it’s something any middle/ high school girl can relate to.

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 14:26

LOVE THEM!!!! Have you read the Katie Weldon Series??!! It’s a sequel series by Robin Jones Gunn all about Katie and all the things she goes through in college!!! it’s amazing!!!

• Posted by on August 13, 2011 at 18:33

I am absolutely in love with practically anything Robin Jones Gunn has written. Katie Weldon series was awesome!! Hope she writes more!!! Sierra Jensen was good too, but not as good as the Christy Miller series. =D

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 15:56

that sounds cool!!

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:09

thanks so much for your recommendations!

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 13:15

LOVE Unlocked!! i NEVER cry, but that book had me crying thruout. it was SO sweet!
        and i love the Christy Miller series too!

37. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 18:53

Boston Jane trilogy!!!! by Jennifer L. Holm. also the Passion trilogy by Julie Lessmen.

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:10

Thank you Natalie! I’ll go see what they’re all about!

38. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 18:35

i love the chicken soup for the soul books! i literally just got a christian teen version today!!

39. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 18:15

I love Trusting God by Jerry Bridges…other than the Bible it’s one of the BEST books to get encouragement from πŸ™‚

40. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 17:21

I love the book redeeming love! Its by Francine rivers and about Gods continual and unquenchable love for us no matter what we do. Its the best book I have read in my entire life besides the Bible. In fact, behind the Bible, it is the book that effected me the most because I saw such a clear picture of Gods wonderful love!

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 14:34

Thats one of my FAVORITES!!!!
      It’s based off of the story of Hosea. Incredible book!
      I haven’t read anything else by Francine Rivers but I’ve heard her series “Mark of the Lion” is really good too

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:11

that sounds amazing.. I love inspiring books!

41. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 16:13

“A Love Worth Giving” by Max Lucado is a great book! t goes over what Love really is, and how we try to share the same Love that God shows to us. πŸ™‚

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:12

I love Max Lucado! thanks Jessica I’ll go see!

42. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 15:30

The Bible (: hehe

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:13

πŸ™‚ The word of God is flawless!

• Posted by on August 10, 2011 at 07:00

there’s always something exciting in the bible. I never get tired of it

• Posted by on August 10, 2011 at 06:59

yeah

43. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 15:01

Weird by Craig Groeschel (sorry I probably spelled his name wrong)
    City on Our Knees by tobyMac
    The Screwtape letters by (i think) C.S. Lewis
    Crazy Love (I forgot who it’s by, sorry. I’ll look that up)

• Posted by on August 27, 2011 at 19:34

The screwtape letters is by C.S.Lewis and Crazy Love is by Francis Chan.

• Posted by on August 12, 2011 at 07:58

The Screwtape Letters is by C.S. Lewis so u were right and Crazy Love is Fransis Chan he’s one of my favorite speakers

• Posted by on October 12, 2011 at 14:09

C.S Lewis said that writing The Screwtape Letters was hard because he had to think of things in the wrong perspective.
        For example, In the book, they call God the enemy and satan our father below

• Posted by Nicole on October 14, 2011 at 11:03

you’re right! I couldn’t read it because I was sort of scared! haha.

• Posted by on September 11, 2011 at 14:12

Francis Chan is a great speaker! Another good book of his is Forgotten God. It’s about the Holy Spirit and how many of us don’t think about the Holy Spirit’s part in our lives. It’s really good!

• Posted by Nicole on August 16, 2011 at 14:02

I’m going to start reading the Screwtape letters soon!

• Posted by on August 12, 2011 at 08:02

Sry spelled his name wrong its Francis Chan

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:13

what’s the screwtape letters about?

• Posted by on August 10, 2011 at 14:16

that book is so freaking scary! :O it gave me nightmares!

• Posted by Nicole on August 10, 2011 at 20:23

what one?

• Posted by on August 8, 2011 at 06:31

The screwtape letters creeped me out but I love books like that!

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 18:19

Yes it creepy, but it was interesting and thought-provoking.
        Yes they are!!

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 14:28

ooo!! The Screwtape Letters are by C.S. Lewis and it’s about letters from one of Lucifer’s demons who Lucifer has put in charge of a certain man.

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 15:56

omg that sounds so creepy! demons are so real!

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 13:18

its letters from a demon named Screwtape to his nephew. it talks about the Christian life from the Devil’s perspective, and the methods he uses to undermine us

44. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 14:58

Heaven is for Real πŸ™‚

45. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 14:51

My inspirational faves are:
    Real Love by Mary Beth Bonnaci
    Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen (nothing makes you feel better than good v evil, am I right?)
    Real Me: Seeing the Girl that God Made by Natalie Grant
    Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (do not ask me why I get inspired by it….I just do)

• Posted by on August 9, 2011 at 20:11

I didn’t know Natalie Grant wrote a book! I’ll have to check it out, thanks

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:18

which one is your favorite?

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 20:02

Probably Sword of the Rightful King. I’m such a geek about Arthurian mythology. But, I adore Real Love as well!

46. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 14:41

i’ve read heaven is for real it is awesome!!!!!! it’s a great book to read if your faith is fading

47. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 14:41

She Said Yes, by Misty Bernall – It’s kind of sad, but I really admire Cassie.
    No Sex In The City, by Lindsey N. Isham – A good reminder that staying pure is the way to go.

48. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 14:34

Irresistible revolution by Shane Claiborne.
    This book was life changing and sp challenging! I’ll have to read it again because there was so much i wanted to take in!

49. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 14:31

My aunt says that Reedeeming Love by someone… lol i forrrrrgot her name :/ haha soo i want to read that book. (Its based off of the book of hosea) I also like Ted dekker. hes christian.. but not inspiring at all. LOL more like thriller/horror with a taste of romance haha(: right now for school im reading a book called Johnny Tremain. its set in the Revolutionary War time. Its not Christian but im still loveing it!! (: I like novels the best. And if i have time I can go through a 500 page book in 3-5 days.. ive done it!! So let me know ur fav novels too(:

• Project Inspired

Posted by ForeverInLove13 on December 27, 2011 at 00:19

Francine Rivers πŸ™‚

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 15:11

Redeeming Love is by Francine Rivers. It was SUCH a good book. I like Ted Dekker too, but i don’t like horror. I liked his book Blink and he had another series, the Books of Elyon or something. I likes the first few of those, but after the fourth or fifth I got bored. Then afterwards, I realized that the Circle series was a Pre-series to that one haha. I’m a fast reader too

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 20:43

OH!! I FORGOT!! some of the most inspiiiiring books i have EVER read is the Yada yada prayer group by neta jackson..! Such fantasic and inspiring books(: check them out!!! (they are the thick ones i was talking about that i can read in a few days! haha

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 20:40

omg~!!!!! the circle series has to be THE BEST books i have everrrrrr read!! amazing! (and they arent horror but still ted dekker) and yes francine rivers.. thanks(: couldnt think of er name haha. !

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 15:56

wow those really sound cool. That’s awesome your such a fast reader too πŸ™‚

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 14:18

I <3 TED DEKKER!!!!! But if you want inspiring, The Christy Miller Series by Robin Jones Gunn is the best XD

• Posted by on August 27, 2011 at 19:32

The sierra jensen series is great as well. But you have to read the christy miller series first.

• Posted by on August 14, 2011 at 16:45

The Christy Miller series rocks!!!

• Posted by Nicole on August 15, 2011 at 19:23

I need to read these!!

• Posted by on August 8, 2011 at 19:13

Yes! The christy miller series is the best! It keeps you waiting for a good christian man, and it teaches you to stay pure! Love that whole series so much! <3 πŸ™‚

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:20

wow you are a fast reader.. that’s great!

• Posted by on August 7, 2011 at 20:42

ive heard of the christy miller series..(:

• Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 14:31

meaning the book “Reedeeming Love” is a good one. lol sorry(:

50. Posted by on August 6, 2011 at 14:22

Soul Surfer; Bethany Hamilton
    Girls Only; Beverly Lewis
    Any book by Chad Eastman!
    Life Smiles Back; Philip B. Kunhardt Jr.
    Children Demand a Verdict; Josh McDowell

• Posted by Nicole on August 7, 2011 at 13:21

thanks Erica for letting me know πŸ™‚

• Posted by on August 8, 2011 at 06:28

Hey Nicole. I really love your advice. You push me forward everyday so i was hoping if you could check out my videos on youtube. My name there is sayurnameli418. If not for you I wouldn’t have gone that far ’cause I’m a really shy person but because of you I joined youtube. And I really love novels. They’re so great my favorite books are Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews and My Sweet Audrina by the same person. Those books made me cry

Love, Lily

• Posted by Nicole on August 8, 2011 at 13:43

and I LOVE your passion and drive- next time you make a video, say “I am inspired by Project Inspired and Nicole gave me the confidence to do it!” I will publish the video on here! You go girl!

• Posted by Nicole on August 8, 2011 at 13:39

Lily- you have the CUTEST most precious voice, I LOVE hearing you sing!! You are such a light. God loves you so, so so so much!!! Keep on singin girl, and one tip- next time try to make it more clear from your video camera- and try to make it straight on so I can see your lovely face better. All of them were great, but I especially liked Adele rolling in the deep! I can’t stress enough how cute you are. I am so happy you showed me these! πŸ™‚