Beauty & Fashion
Quiz: Are You Addicted to Fashion?
Written by T.M. Gaouette | October 29, 2012
Fashion is fun! I love it when new colors, combinations and styles are introduced every season. And when you can spice up some of your current styles with a new twist, well, that’s just a bonus in my eyes.
But fashion isn’t always a great thing. Occasionally, people don’t just follow fashion, they allow it to dictate their lives. It’s okay for Christian girls to enjoy fashion, but when does that love turn into obsession?
Consider the following questions
- Do you follow fashion religiously?
- Are you constantly asking your parents to buy you the most fashionable outfits, regardless of how much they cost?
- Do you select items of clothing simply because they’re in style?
- Do you wear what’s in fashion, regardless of whether the style suits you?
- Do you care more about being stylish than being modest?
- Do you judge people by what they wear?
- Do you make fun of peers with no fashion sense?
- Do you get excited and energized when you go shopping?
- Do you spend hours in one store, selecting and trying on clothes and shoes?
- Do you care about fashion more than anything else in your life?
If you answered “yes” to most or all of the above, then you may be addicted to fashion.
Scripture calls for women to be modest. We are not to stand out or call attention to ourselves.
Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire (1 Timothy 2:9).
It’s all about moderation in most areas of our lives. But when it comes to fashion, it means that we should not be so fashionable that it calls negative attention to ourselves.
The other thing to remember is that we as Christians are directed not to conform to the world. Fashion is often a reflection of all that is worldly.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God (Romans 12:2).
If you focus your attention on what God expects of you, rather than on your fashionable peers and fashion magazines, then your intention is Godly.
As I mentioned earlier, fashion is fun, but it shouldn’t consume your life. And it shouldn’t take your focus away from Christ and His expectations of you.
Ladies, do you believe that you may be addicted to fashion?