Real Talk: What It Means to Serve God
Written by T.M. Gaouette | March 17, 2015
Ladies, the meaning of life is not difficult to comprehend when you’re a devoted Christian. Basically, we are called to know, love and serve our God. It’s that simple. Or is it?
What does it mean to serve God?
- Follow His commandments. This was fundamental when we discussed loving God. And it’s just as significant when it comes to serving God. You can’t serve a God if you’re not following His way of living. Remember, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” The Commandments call for us to serve our neighbors, and so in serving them, we are serving Him.
- Worship Him. We serve Him when we take time to hold Him up in reverence. We remind Him of our loyalty, devotion and love for Him when we worship God, whether in church or in our day-to-day living.
- Have faith. Our faith is also a way of serving Him. When we have faith, we are believing without fully knowing. And so we are willingly trusting in Him and giving ourselves fully to Him as followers and servants, ready to do His will.
- Perform acts of charity. When we do for others and serve others, we serve Him. Remember this came up in the last post when I explained that loving others was loving Him? Well, when we serve others through the act of charity, we also serve Him.
- Pray. We serve Him when we serve others through our personal prayers. There is power in prayer, and when we intercede for others, we increase the strength of prayer.
- Partake in church. Help wherever you can, whether it’s assisting with the music, serving during Mass or volunteering in faith formation classes. There are many opportunities to serve within churches.
- Evangelize. Sharing our faith with non-Christians is a great way to serve our Lord. You can do this by speaking about Jesus and sharing the Gospel whenever the opportunity opens up for you. You can also do this by inviting a non-Christian friend to church with you.
- Use your gifts. God has blessed all of us with gifts. Whatever your gift may be, use it to serve Him. You can do this by sharing His Word with your gift or living your gift in a manner that glorifies Him.
- Be a mentor. As Christians, we have a responsibility to guide others on a path of righteousness. So, consider ways in which you can be a mentor for others, whether formally or informally. Maybe you know of a friend or young sibling that you can advise.
- Live the Beatitudes. Are you familiar with the Beatitudes? The Gospel of Matthew introduces us to the eight blessings that will lead us to salvation. Just like the Commandments, living the Beatitudes serves God by living in a way that God desires us to live.
To serve God means to serve Him and others in every way possible.
Ladies, when we know, love and serve God, we better understand what His desire is for us as we wait for the coming of the Kingdom.
Thus says the Lord: Do not let the wise boast in their wisdom, do not let the mighty boast in their might, do not let the wealthy boast in their wealth; but let those who boast boast in this, that they understand and know me, that I am the Lord; I act with steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth, for in these things I delight, says the Lord. (Jeremiah 9:23-24)
Contact me via social media for any questions, advice, prayer or just to say hello:
Find more posts on what it means to know, love and serve God here: