School Hacks: 10 Ways to Stay Focused During the Summer
Written by Christi Given | July 1, 2015
During summer it can be hard to remain focused with the beautiful weather and the temptation to hang out by the pool or go to the beach. Here are some tips to help you stay focused on your goals, summer classes and/or job.
1. Create a routine: The more you practice something, the quicker it becomes a habit (hopefully a good one).
2. Complete what you start: It’s easy to begin something, but harder to finish it. Completing your goals or tasks will make you feel more accomplished.
3. Know your passions and purpose: I believe it was Bishop T. D. Jakes who said that “knowing your passion leads you to your purpose.” When we know WHY we are here on earth and we link that to our passions, we can begin pursuing our dreams. Write them down and start this summer!
4. Write down your dreams: Your dreams are God-given and are important! Life goes by so quickly and it’s easy to forget what is important and what our God-given purpose is.
5. Take care of your health: The more you eat healthy, exercise, stretch and get the proper rest, the more likely you will have the energy and endurance to be able to focus and do more during the summer season. We all feel the heat waves and want to just lie around, but don’t let the weather keep you inside with the air conditioner blasting or feeling lethargic. You can do it! (Think watermelon, lemonade…healthy, right?)
6. Pray: Ask God to help give you a clear mind, focus and the ability to complete what you need to do. We all need strength at times (Isaiah 40), but the good news is God says in our weakness He is strong. So if we depend on Him and do our part, He will give us the SUPER on our natural, amen?
7. Give yourself a timeline: Deadlines always help you to accomplish your goals and to complete your tasks in a decent time. If no one had deadlines, then we could all put many things on hold, right? So what do we do when we have more spare time and less time crunches or mandatory classes, etc.? We need to set our own deadlines for our goals to really maintain focus and to actually finish what we start. Agreed?
8. Treat yourself and rejuvenate: I am all about having a hard work ethic and keeping focus on goals and dreams, but we ALL need a break and need to restore our souls (Psalm 23). We need to be led by still waters and need to just relax, enjoy the sun and the beautiful summer weather, and need to regain strength for the remainder of the year. God created seasons for a reason and a purpose. He knows we need rest, because yes, even God rested! (Genesis 2:2)
9. Use a calendar or monthly planner: I recently bought a new planner (which I LOVE). Personally, it is always helpful to have a day runner or planner to keep me on top of my to-do lists, goals and assignments. I love being organized and I enjoy writing things down so I can see what my days, weeks and even months look like. (Tip: Target, Big Lots and the Dollar Tree have great, cheap planners! Don’t let money get in the way of being unorganized. I believe in you! You can do it!)
10. Reflect: Sometimes we get so set on the goals that we actually lose focus by focusing too much on the future…does that make sense? We need to pause, have a “selah” moment and look at what God has ALREADY done in our lives. Let us not get so caught up in our goals and to-do lists that we miss the whole point of why God has us here. He wants us to stop, smell the roses, love on people and be genuinely grateful for what He has given us. Find time in the day (set the time), in the week (maybe Sunday, or maybe that’s your busiest day if you serve/volunteer), find a Sabbath day to reflect and write down all that has happened that you feel thankful for, and write down the things you want to focus more on.
The purpose of resetting your focus isn’t always regarding to-do lists or climbing the ladder in society…can I get an amen? Sometimes focusing has nothing to do with “goal setting,” but rather, it can be focusing on family, friends or other people. Focus can be on reading your Bible or staying committed to working out.
What are you focusing on this summer? God bless you! Comment below if you need prayer!
If you would like to contact me, have any other questions or need personal prayer, message me: