Growing up, I didn’t have a clear understanding about The Holy Spirit. I was taught a lot about God and Jesus; unfortunately, The Holy Spirit was somewhat neglected within the teachings of my childhood church. It wasn’t until I became an adult that I began to learn more about the power of The Holy Spirit.
We all know that The Holy Spirit is God and that He is a part of The Trinity, but what else do you know about Him? Do you know that He should be your best friend while you’re here on Earth? Let’s take a moment to explore who The Holy Spirit is and why He’s your best friend.
• The Holy Spirit is a PERSON in spirit form. The Holy Spirit is not a “thing” or an “it.” I can’t count how many times I’ve heard people refer to God’s Spirit as an “it.” The Holy Spirit is a person in spirit form who lives inside every child of God.
• The Holy Spirit gives you a sense of belonging. After you accept Jesus as your Lord and personal savior, The Holy Spirit enters you in order to seal your salvation. Once this happens, you’re marked as a child of God. Everyone in Heaven and Hell knows that you belong to God and that you’ve been adopted into His Kingdom.
• The Holy Spirit comforts you. Although you can sometimes find comfort in your human friends, NOTHING compares to God’s comfort. He always knows what to do or say to help you through a difficult time. However, unlike people, He’ll never get tired of coming to the rescue.
• The Holy Spirit is your guide. God wants you to be happy in this life and The Holy Spirit has been left behind to guide you to your destiny. He offers guidance to help you along your path toward a successful life.
• The Holy Spirit gives you gifts. Have you ever wondered why you’re so talented in certain areas? Have you ever questioned why some people are naturally talented in one area while other people have an amazing ability in another? Well, The Holy Spirit gives each believer his or her spiritual gifts.
• The Holy Spirit empowers you! Have you ever found yourself saying or doing things that you’re normally too timid to say or do? Examples would be standing up to a bully with no fear or witnessing to a group of peers? Well, that boldness comes from The Holy Spirit!
• You can call on The Holy Spirit at ANY TIME! The Holy Spirit lives inside of you so He’s always in your presence. Day or night, in any place or at any time, He’s always ready and willing to help you. What’s even more amazing is that He has the answer to EVERY SINGLE ONE of your problems!
I thank God for more fully revealing Himself to me! Now that I have a better understanding of who The Holy Spirit is, I constantly seek guidance from Him. I don’t just go to Him about spiritual matters, either–I go to Him for direction about EVERYTHING that’s going on in my life! Jesus says this:
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you (John 14:26).