Every Christmas season, people seem to get lost in the hustle and bustle of shopping and other things. We get so uptight about finding and buying the perfect gift that we begin to overreact to little frustrations. In fact, a Virginia woman was arrested for spraying pepper spray in a store so that she could be first in line to make her purchases!
Unfortunately, the world gets so wrapped up in buying things that the concept of WHO Christmas is really all about is lost. Although it’s okay to participate in the excitement of the holiday season, Christians shouldn’t forget the true purpose of the day.
Christmas should ALWAYS be about celebrating the birth of our savior, Jesus!
Here are a few ways we can focus less on ourselves and more on showing the love of Jesus to others during the holiday season:
- Volunteer. There’s no better way to bring joy to the life of another person than to volunteer to serve those less fortunate than yourself. Whether you choose to spend an afternoon with senior citizens who have no family or agree to serve Christmas dinner to the homeless, volunteering can be life changing.
- Share homemade treats. Who doesn’t enjoy some homemade Christmas cookies or freshly baked brownies? Try spending an afternoon preparing some treats to deliver to nursing homes or homeless shelters in your area.
- Give anonymously. Do you know someone who seems a little down this season or someone whose family can’t afford to buy him/her anything for Christmas this year? Imagine the joy that you could bring by purchasing him or her a present. Try giving or sending it anonymously with a note that says “Love, Jesus.” This way, you’ll be keeping the focus on Jesus and not yourself.
- Donate. Donate some canned goods or toys to a local food or toy drive. You’ll be helping people have a Christmas celebration that they otherwise wouldn’t experience.
- Share your TIME with others. Jesus always was spending time with the less fortunate as well as with His disciples. Take a few minutes to offer your company both to your family as well as to people who might be lonely during the holidays.
- Forgive. There’s no better time to show forgiveness toward someone who has wronged you than today. Christmas should be a reminder about all that Jesus has done for us and how we can exemplify Him through our actions.
- Show love. Love is action and you can show love anywhere you go. When others are losing their patience in the stores, this is the best time to show the love of Jesus. Remind yourself to not join in the craziness. Walk away if someone wants to argue. Don’t get into a standoff over the last parking spot. Smile when you feel like saying unkind words. Satan has done a good job at capitalizing on Christmas and it’s our job to remind the world WHO Christmas is TRULY all about!
What are some other ways that we can show the love of Jesus during the holidays?