Some Verses to Help Fight Depression
Written by Jenn Arman | May 2, 2012
Depression is one of the most common ailments today. I want to be very clear: While I firmly believe God has the power to cure everything that can affect our minds or bodies, sometimes He works His healing power through the hands of doctors.
If you are really struggling with depression or any other physical or mental ailment, please seek help from a professional. Remember, God’s people also include doctors, scientists and pharmacists who seek to do the Lord’s work by helping heal and keep us well. With that said, here are some great Scriptures that can help you fight when depression sneaks up on you.
- Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me (Micah 7:8).
- But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God’s OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9).
- O send out Your light and Your truth, let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your dwelling places (Psalm 43:3).
- Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him, On those who hope for His lovingkindness, To deliver their soul from death and to keep them alive in famine. Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. For our heart rejoices in Him, Because we trust in His holy name. Let Your lovingkindness, O LORD, be upon us, According as we have hoped in You (Psalm 33:18-22).
- But as for me, I will hope continually, and will praise You yet more and more (Psalm 71:14).
- Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off (Proverbs 23:18).
- The LORD favors those who fear Him, those who wait for His lovingkindness (Psalm 147:11).
- Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 15:13).
- But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves (John 17:13).
- For as a young man marries a virgin, so your sons will marry you; and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so your God will rejoice over you (Isaiah 62:5).
These are only a few of the many Scriptures available to bring hope when we are feeling sad or depressed. When you’re feeling down, you can use these to create your own Scripture prayers to help fight off that gloomy feeling.
What verses do you turn to when you’re feeling depressed?
The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes (Psalm 19:7-8).