I know how hard it can be to step out of your comfort zone. It involves risk when you don’t know what to expect or how others will react. However, try to always remember that although it’s much easier to stay where it’s comfortable, a little discomfort propels people to make the BIGGEST impact in their own life and the lives of others!
I encourage each of you to step out of your comfort zone because that’s the only way that you’ll reach your fullest potential. Here are a few things to keep in mind to alleviate some of the fear that’s holding you back:
- God is ALWAYS with you. God makes it very clear that He’ll never leave or forsake His people, so that means He’s always present. Whenever you’re having a hard time moving beyond your comfort zone, ask God for strength and courage. The Holy Spirit is always waiting to give you exactly what you need to be all God has called you to be! Ask yourself, how can you be the powerful and influential young woman God wants you to be if you allow fear to prevent you from moving forward?
- Fear is NOT from God. In fact, fear is from the enemy. 2 Timothy 1:7 says this: “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” So if fear is NOT from God, then it has to be from the enemy. The enemy knows that if you’re afraid to step out of your comfort zone, then you won’t be able to do everything you’re supposed to do in this life. When you start feeling fearful, respond by quoting Scripture. This will strengthen you and the enemy will flee.
- You’re special and God uses you to lead the way. God uses His people to be the light in the darkness and He’s already equipped you with everything you need. You’re a priestess and you’re extremely valuable to this world. Remember who you are and that you can do all things through Christ. Stepping out of your comfort zone, whether it means trying something new, meeting new people, speaking the Gospel, or doing something God has laid on your heart to do, is always an opportunity to show God’s greatness through you. Don’t be afraid to lead the way!
- Moving forward always requires letting go and stepping out. Have you ever watched a baby learn how to walk? She knows that in order to get from one place to another, she has to let go of whatever she’s holding on to. She may begin by cruising along the wall or moving from one chair to the next, but inevitably she realizes that it is much quicker when she lets go and moves forward. It’s the same thing with us! When we let go of our fear, it’s only THEN that we can move forward!
- Failure is only a lesson learned. “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them” (Romans 8:28.) It’s okay to make a mistake. You may also run into people who dislike you, especially when your light shines bright. Sometimes you may feel inadequate. But regardless, God will cause all of those things to build you into who you’re supposed to be. So don’t be afraid to step out. Remember:
The only thing worse than failing is never trying!
What are some things you do to help you move past your comfort zone?