Ladies, your inner beauty is instilled within your heart. You can’t fully reflect certain virtues in your life if you’re not completely invested in a desire to possess them. Purity is a virtue that Christian men and women are called to adhere to outside of a marriage.
What is purity? In short, it’s refraining from sexual thoughts and actions outside of marriage. Sex is a gift given from God reserved for a husband and wife for the purpose of intimacy and life. So, if you’re not married, you should be devoted to a life of purity in obedience to God’s law.
Shun immorality. Every other sin which a man commits is outside the body; but the immoral man sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
Consider practicing more purity in the following areas of your life:
- At school. Remain pure in your thoughts and in your discussions. When hanging out with your friends, don’t talk about or check out boys in a lustful way, and avoid imagining yourself with them.
- At home. Refrain from watching TV shows and movies or reading books with impure scenes.
- In your relationship. If you do have a boyfriend, vow to remain pure, and avoid being alone in situations that could lead to compromising your purity.
Saint Jerome said, “Either we must speak as we dress, or dress as we speak. Why do we profess one thing and display another? The tongue talks of chastity, but the whole body reveals impurity.” This is a great way of understanding how purity is not just something we do, but rather that it’s instilled within every part of us, from the way we think to the way we speak to the way we behave. This is because even after marriage, when we’re no longer chaste, we are still called to remain pure in the other areas of our lives.
If you’re finding it a struggle to be pure, then consider the following tips:
- Make a vow and a plan. Evaluate your life and think about all the ways that you are impure in your mind, words and deeds. Make a vow to stay away from all these instances, if at all possible.
- Pray for it. Pray, because only God can help you when you struggle.
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled; for God will judge the immoral and adulterous. (Hebrews 13:4)
Ladies, are you pure in your mind, words and deeds? Do you know of other ways to strengthen your purity?
Contact me via social media for any questions, advice, prayer or just to say hello: