We love DIY projects that spice up our homes, and even better if they can be seasonably fun and helpful. One way to decorate in style this summer is by creating paper lantern string lights to drape across your bedroom wall or patio. You can make them by choosing any basic or frilly fun scrapbook paper you like—the options are endless.
Check out the instructions below and get to crafting!
- 8-inch (20-cm) origami or scrapbook paper
- paper squares
- craft glue
- craft knife
- paper punches in fun shapes
- string of LED lights
- Cut two strips 1½ inches (4 cm) wide by 8 inches (20 cm) long from a piece of origami paper.
- With a tape measure or ruler, mark the halfway point of each strip—in both width and length—with a pencil on the side of the paper without the pattern.
- With the pattern side down, form an X with the strips, making sure your marks from the previous step overlap. Glue the strips together where they intersect. The square in the middle of the X will be the bottom of the box.
- Fold the arms of the X to make a box, unfolding and creasing carefully.
- On a protected surface, use a craft knife to cut a small X in the bottom square.
- Use paper punches to punch out fun designs in each arm of the X. Be careful not to punch holes on the creases.
- Assemble the box by folding two side strips up on the creases to form a top square. Glue these pieces together. Then fold up the next two sides to join the top square. Glue them all together. Let dry.
- Repeat above steps to make enough boxes to cover each light on the string.
- Before hanging, gently push an LED light through the X in the bottom of each box.
What do you girls think—would you make these paper lanterns? Where would you hang them? And what DIY would you like us to post instructions for next? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!