Since it’s the summer and school is out of session, instead of writing about college hacks, I wanted to share some life hacks and tips with you Project Inspired readers.
Here are 10 cleaning hacks for any type of seasonal cleaning or organizing. I hope these tips and the video inspire you!
1. Avoid a leaking and smelly trash bag: Crunch a few newspapers and put them in the bottom of the bag. If anything leaks out, the newspapers absorb any liquids and prevent any bad smells…no one wants that!
2. Avoid slippery hangers: Do your clothes tend to fall off the hangers and does it drive you nuts especially when your silky, pretty blouses don’t stay on the hangers? Well, Clean My Space has a tip: Put the tag or ribbon of your T-shirt or blouse through the hook of the hanger and then hang normally. No more piles of shirts at the bottom of your closet!
Another idea that Nicole (founder of PI) and I love is Huggable Hangers, which are found at places like Home Goods, T.J. Maxx, some Dollar Tree Stores, The Container Store and more!
3. Clean your blender: Do you ever find that the blades in the blender collect residue from your homemade protein shakes or iced smoothies? Put soap inside the blender, put water inside and then blend away! Wow, what a great idea! Make sure all of the soap is rinsed out before your next iced mocha or drink…you don’t want to drink soap!
4. Grease stain remover: You wouldn’t think that these next three products would help remove unwanted cooking grease stains, but here they are: corn starch, baby powder and chalk! Yes, you read that correctly! These products soak up the oil and leave your surfaces looking sparkly and brand-new. Make sure to pat the stain immediately with a paper towel—do not let it dry or it may not go away.
5. Put a clean, dry towel in the dryer with your normal load to quicken the drying time: Wow, it makes sense that the dry towel would absorb some moisture from wet towels or clothing. Great idea!
6. After cleaning the toilet, let the brush dry: Stick the toilet brush to dry under the lid of the seat so it doesn’t go back in the brush holder dripping wet. If you don’t let it dry out, it will cause more germs to build up on the brush! (Smart advice from Clean My Space!)
7. Use your sticky notes to clean your keyboard: The stickiness on the sticky notes will collect the dust and dirt in the keyboard and will reach places you cannot reach! Fabulous!
8. How to clean a sponge: Your sponge is harboring icky germs that can go on your sink, oven and, yes, even your dishes…eww! Clean it by soaking your sponge in a microwave-safe bowl and heating it the microwave for two minutes. (NOTE: DO NOT PUT SPONGES WITH METAL IN THE MICROWAVE! It is a safety issue and is not the responsibility of PI or Clean My Space.) Take the sponge out and voilà!—it’s like new. Let the sponge sit out and cool off, and it’s good to use!
9. Use vinegar to clean sinks or showers: Regular vinegar from the store helps clean any sink, or metal handles in the shower. Apple cider vinegar works just as well, and is great for beauty purposes also.
10. Put lemon peels in the sink: Peel a lemon, put some of the rinds in the garbage disposal, run it with water and you’ll have a fresh lemon scent.
Lemons are great for many purposes! Read more here.
Click here to watch a Clean My Space YouTube video for some cleaning hack ideas.
PI Girls, do you have any secret hacks or cleaning tips you want to share with the PI community? Comment below! Happy summer cleaning!