There’s no question that in today’s society, there is much pressure to look beautiful, skinny, in the latest fashions, to post trendy and high-quality photos on social media and to keep up with our fast-paced society. There is nothing wrong with taking care of ourselves, but we must not become self-absorbed.
I want to challenge you to not only care for the outside, which is important, but also want to encourage you to nourish your soul with the Word of God (the Bible), and also in the community.
Five Verses on Inner Beauty
1. 1 Peter 3:3-4 says: “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”
2. Proverbs 3:15 says: “She is more precious than jewels.”
3. Our outside will eventually grow old and wrinkled, no matter how many products or surgeries people have, but the inner spirit of humanity can be renewed through Jesus, the Word and the work of the Holy Spirit.
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. (2 Corinthians 4:16)
4. God doesn’t want us to worry about our clothes and appearance, but of course to represent him well. Don’t let hygiene and normal care turn into an obsession. It says in Matthew 6:28: “And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin….”
5. The Bible discusses modesty. It says: “Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.” (1 Timothy 2:9-10)
I pray that this encouraged you. I pray you shine and sparkle for Jesus!