Lately people have been saying some mean things about me and spreading awful rumors! What should I do?
When people spread rumors about you, it can feel simply awful. No one should have to experience such mean-spirited actions! Unfortunately, it does happen, BUT how you respond to it says a great deal about who you are as a person. Here are a few tips that might help you get through this tough time:
- STAY CALM! When we respond to situations while in an emotional state, it can actually make the situation worse! It’s really important that you wait until you’re calm before addressing stressful situations. To help yourself calm down quickly, do some deep breathing or other relaxation techniques that’ll help your body relax. Once your body is relaxed, you can think more clearly and respond more rationally.
- Use this as an opportunity to show others the God in you! The Bible tells us that adversity will always come. 1 Peter 4:12-13 says, “Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing His glory when it is revealed to all the world.” The enemy will use anything or anyone to try to get you off course with God. Use this as an opportunity to show the love of God to those who are mistreating you. Continue to demonstrate a cheerful and loving nature. If you decide to confront the source of the rumor, be sure to do it in a kind and gentle manner. Don’t allow your anger or hurt feelings to facilitate behaving in an manner that doesn’t reflect Christ. Be an agent for change! You never know–God may be using you and your situation to shine light unto others who are still in darkness!
- Remind yourself that it’s only temporary. Although it doesn’t feel very good right now, don’t forget that this is only a temporary situation. As you stand firm and rely on God for strength, the enemy will flee. Eventually the rumors will stop, especially as others see the God in you by the way that you respond to the situation!
- Remember your GREATNESS! Words can be very destructive if we let them. While you’re dealing with this situation, never forget how valuable you are! You’re God’s daughter and you’re ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Don’t let what other people say make you think badly about yourself. Remind yourself often of your GREATNESS and speak Scripture over yourself whenever you start feeling bad.
- Always refrain from gossiping. The Bible is clear that we reap what we sow, so it’s really important that you watch your words as well. When you engage in gossiping or spreading rumors, then it’s only a matter of time before someone begins to gossip about you, too. So avoid the temptation to talk negatively about other people, even the people who are speaking untrue things about you.
- Don’t tolerate bullying! If the situation gets to a point where you feel like you’re being bullied, get help from a trusted adult IMMEDIATELY. Bullying is NEVER okay!
- Pray about it. Regardless of what’s going on in your life, God will always help you through it! Pray for your own strength, but also pray for the people who are mistreating you. Remember, Jesus is our example! He prayed for those who crucified Him and we should also pray for those who mistreat us. God wants us to love others and be agents for change!
What do you girls think? What other suggestions do you have?