As the year wraps up, I wanted to review some of the Christian albums that were released in 2016. Below are some of my favorite artists, especially Housefires (a newly discovered worship band who wrote Chris Tomlin’s “Good Good Father”), and some amazing worship albums I only recently discovered that I wanted to share with you!
I pray these albums bless you and that you are able to listen to worship during the holiday break. Even if you are not able to buy all of these albums, listening to the words (even on preview in iTunes or via YouTube) and letting the worship soak in is a great way to draw near the Lord. I encourage you to support the artists below and share them with your friends! Happy listening!
1. Hillsong Worship, Let There Be Light: This is one of my favorite all-time albums, especially from this year! Check it out here.
2. Chris Quilala, Split the Sky: The singer from Jesus Culture releases his debut album. Check it out here.
3. Chris Tomlin, Never Lose Sight: Tomlin never ceases to disappoint and yet again comes out with a new worshipful and anointed album…whew, can’t keep up! Great job, Chris! Check it out here.
4. Kari Jobe, The Cause of Christ: Kari Jobe is one of my favorites, and her last album, Majestic, I have on repeat. Can’t wait to fully soak up this new CD. Check out the single here.
5. NEEDTOBREATHE, Hard Love: This band is super talented and really sounds like they could be in mainstream music. Check it out here.
6. Rend Collective, Campfire II: Simplicity: The band is similar to One Republic-meets-Mumford and Sons, but Christian-labeled, and they are very upbeat and talented with a folk vibe. Check it out here.
7. Housefires, Housefires III: The song “Build My Life” is so anointed and really stays with you in your spirit after you listen. Enjoy…you will be blessed; it is one of my all-time favorites from 2016. Check out the album here and watch the video below.
Housefires is responsible for writing “Good Good Father,” a now well-known song that artist Chris Tomlin sings. The song was written by Pat Barrett and Tony Brown from the band. Tomlin shared his first thoughts on Housefires and the song the band penned: “Songs like this don’t come along that often … I remember, my wife, she played it for me, and I just looked at her and went, ‘This song is incredible—this is amazing.'” —Chris Tomlin (air1.com)
8. Bryan and Katie Torwalt, Champion: One of my favorite tracks from this album is “Set Me Ablaze.” What is your favorite? Check it out here.
9. Jordan Feliz, The River: This new artist from Centricity Music (same label as Lauren Daigle) is on the rise, but is still getting out there, so spread the news about his music! He rocks!! Check it out here.
10. Matt Redman, These Christmas Lights: Redman collaborated with Natasha Bedingfield and some other artists. It is really a treat to hear from Redman again. Any favorite songs off the album, PI Girls? Mine is “Angels (Singing Gloria),” featuring Chris Tomlin. Check it out here.
PI Girls, do you have a favorite 2016 album or Christian artist/ worship leader or band? Comment below!