I’ve always been a night person and waking up early doesn’t come naturally to me. But when I wake up early I feel much more accomplished and ready to take on the day! I’m currently using these techniques to wake up earlier and they’ve definitely helped me ‘rise and shine’. 🙂
1. Get to bed sooner! I often think I can go to bed late and wake up early, but that hardly ever works out. In order to wake up early, you need to get to bed at a reasonable time. Sounds easy enough right? Try shutting off the Internet (yes…all devices, including your smartphone, your iPad, etc etc etc!), computer, and TV at least 30 minutes before bed. Check out my article on how to sleep better.
2. Start slow– Set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier than your usual start time. Then gradually, subtract another 10 minutes until you get to your designated wake-up time. Your internal clock will slowly get adjusted.
3. Don’t put your alarm near your bed! If it’s too accessible to hit the snooze button to keep sleeping, you’ll do so. Put your alarm on the opposite side of the room so you have to literally get up and turn it off. By that point, you’re up and you’re much more likely to stay awake.
3. Absolutely, do NOT hit snooze! Once you fall into the “just 15 more minutes” trap, it’s a slippery slope and next thing you know, you’re running late! Try www.snoozester.com – it’s a free site that sends you continual calls until you wake up.
4. Get out of your bedroom! Once you’ve turned off your alarm, don’t let yourself get back into bed. Force yourself to go in another room, to the bathroom- kitchen, whatever. I don’t drink coffee, but when I wake up I grab a Coke Zero to get some caffeine and help me wake up. 🙂
5. Make it entertaining! It’s much easier to wake up when you have something to excite you. I have TV in the bathroom and its playing in the background while I’m getting ready. That way I can multitask while catching up on the news! Listening to your favorite music will help wake you up, to0.
6. Write it down! It’s one thing to want to wake up early. It’s another actually doing it. Write down the reason why you want to get up early, such as exercising, catching up on emails, whatever. You’ll be reminded of the reason and more motivated to do it!
Do you have any “wake up” tricks that I missed?