Beauty & Fashion

What Do Guys Really Think About Modesty?

Ladies, have you noticed that female fashion has become so very sexy these days? Even for young girls. If the skirt length isn’t short, then necklines are plunging or the fabrics are so sheer, they might as well not exist.

Of course, the media plays a huge part in determining fashion trends. And as we’ve discussed many times on PI, our favorite young starlets are very eager to flaunt their assets. So why do girls like dressing in this manner? I believe it’s because they want to look sexy, attractive, and hot…to the opposite sex.

Boys! It’s all about boys. That’s what they want, right? Boys like it, right?

Or do they?

Below is a video clip of different teen boys telling you what they really think about immodest dress. Do they like it? Let’s find out…

Much of what the boys said has been mentioned here on Project Inspired. But hearing it from the source legitimizes it, I believe. These are young Christian boys who are telling Christian girls like you that if you dress immodestly, you’ll conjure up lustful thoughts in their minds.

Dressing immodestly causes boys to stumble. They told you in their own words.

My mind runs places when I see that, places that you don’t want my mind to go. So, if you guys want to help us out, don’t dress immodestly.

Based on some of the comments I’ve read, I know some of you girls think that if a boy stumbles, it’s his problem, but you’re wrong. It’s your problem too, because scripture tells us not to cause our brothers to stumble.

These boys also told you that dressing immodestly sends a negative message about you. It says that you’re easy, one boy said, and that you have no self-respect. Some of the boys even went on to say that they look to the heart when they’re looking for the right girl for them.

The good guys care about what’s inside. What you heart is like. If you’re dressing like that, your heart’s in the wrong place.

Ladies, the boys in this video are young Christian boys who obviously respect girls. If you meet a boy that is attracted to your “sexy” body, then he’s just that, “attracted to your body,” not you. Your physical self is presented as a sexy being, so of course any boy that’s interested is interested in what you have to offer.

Consider this: If you go window shopping, you’re going to enter the stores with the desirable window displays, right? If you see books in a window, the store’s likely to be a bookstore. If you see shoes in a window, you assume the store sells shoes. If you see lingerie in a window, the store probably sells lingerie, right? It’s pretty logical. Well this is how a boy thinks. If you dress sexy, you must be sexual. This may not be the truth, but it’s the assumption many boys make.

I hope this video was enlightening to you. Many girls don’t get the chance to look into the minds of boys. This is a truth pill for all young girls. This clip gives you insight about what guys really think and I pray you take their words seriously.

Immodesty makes them uncomfortable. It leads their minds places they don’t want to go. It’s distracting. It sends the wrong message. Modesty tells boys that you have self-respect and that you have a good heart. Isn’t this the message you want to send?

Ladies, what did you think of this clip? Did you find it enlightening? Will it affect the way you dress from now on?

Image: YouTube Video

You must be logged in to post a comment.

92 Comments

1. Project Inspired

Posted by Janazza on August 5, 2012 at 00:21

This clip helped a lot with knowing what boys think of you and how you should really act. It makes me wonder what we should be really doing which is taking our time with God instead of spending time trying to get the eyes of a boy to look at you. If he only looks at you because of your body he’s obviously not worth it.

2. Project Inspired

Posted by PurePrincess on August 1, 2012 at 06:57

These guys didn’t mention makeup or anything, and that one verse said not to primp in front of a mirror? I love makeup, but guys don’t have a problem with it, right? (Hopefully not!)

• Project Inspired

Posted by hugsnkisses0706 on August 3, 2012 at 08:38

i just wear whatever makeup is comfortable with me… cuz i have really dark under eye circles and i look really bland with out it… ive just come to the point to where i can wear concealer, eyeliner and mascara… that much goes along wayy!

• Project Inspired

Posted by hugsnkisses0706 on August 3, 2012 at 08:39

also, i love this video, at first i thought all guys only care about s e x …. lol but after watching this im alot less self concious!
        thanks can u pleeeez get more vids of this stuff?

3. Project Inspired

Posted by Fernie on July 31, 2012 at 13:56

Remember that God is always with you, and you are his princess…Let others see a difference in you…let your heart shine and your spirit, not other parts of your body!

4. Project Inspired

Posted by Matthew5.16 on July 30, 2012 at 23:49

also, girls… peer pressure is an issue here too. make sure you know where you stand and where your values are, cuz you never know when someone might confront you about your modest dress. like just last week, my friend Abi was like ‘why don’t you ever wear shorts? you used to wear them a lot last year’
    cuz yeah I used to wear short shorts all the time and one day I caught my friend Jonny lookin places he shouldn’t have, and he’s like basically my older brother, so that really convicted me.
    hold true to your beliefs and convictions, it saves yourself and your bros in Christ a lot of trouble.

5. Project Inspired

Posted by Matthew5.16 on July 30, 2012 at 23:43

JEANS AND A TSHIRT FOR THE WIN!! haha 🙂 seriously what I wear jus bout every day xD

“highschool guys aren’t worth it” rock on. I learned that the hard way xP oh well.

6. Nicolemariev

Posted by Nicolemariev on July 30, 2012 at 20:31

I liked it. It was refreshing to hear guys talk about the topic. I also liked what the guy said at the end about high school guys not being worth it. It’s funny, I’m going into my senior year of college, and I find that often times college guys can be just as immature as high school guys! If the guy is not a Christian, then it’s a definite no. If he’s a Christian, but he’s really immature…wait on God. Either the guy has to mature or God has someone else for you.

7. HISprincess13

Posted by HISprincess13 on July 30, 2012 at 12:41

thx i dont dress immodestly and some girls at school were teasing me about this,but hahaha im all good!those guys kinda reminded me of a boy from my church 😀 WOOO! theyre real!

8. Project Inspired

Posted by Godgirl1994 on July 30, 2012 at 08:30

ha were are these guys ???? I know they are out there but not were i live.

9. Project Inspired

Posted by faithopeandlove81316 on July 29, 2012 at 16:45

AMAZING! Love this…..

10. Project Inspired

Posted by amazinchiik on July 26, 2012 at 20:53

I love this! Our church had a whole section on this and dating around Valentines day. I thought it was cool cause the youths pastor wife sat us down and we talked about this. She was telling us things her husband told her about the little things that triggers the minds of men. Men are definitely attracted by skin. Knee length dress are definitely the best way to go and she told us to practice jumping around in the mirror and raising our arms to make sure we’re not showing off anything that doesn’t need to be seen. This really changed the way I thought about modesty because I was like it’s my body and they shouldn’t be looking. When that’s really stubborn and selfish because guys can’t help it. And besides it’s God’s body not mine. 🙂 Be a Proverbs 31 girl!

11. Project Inspired

Posted by HopeforChina08 on July 26, 2012 at 06:10

This was So encouraging! 🙂 <3 Love the Grandma comment!

12. Project Inspired

Posted by RitaRita on July 25, 2012 at 10:46

This is a really helpful video! Also its a sin to dress immodestly because it causes the guys to lust and anyone who causes a man to lust is a sinner

13. Project Inspired

Posted by Daughter Of Christ on July 25, 2012 at 08:57

“-..I kinda wanna rinse my eyes out with soap..” <—– my fav part

14. Project Inspired

Posted by Daughter Of Christ on July 25, 2012 at 08:49

I love this! 😀

15. Project Inspired

Posted by Rachel on July 25, 2012 at 08:29

this was really helpful! it made me think again about what i wear and also what kind of guys i should be looking for. thanks!

16. SunshineGirl

Posted by SunshineGirl on July 25, 2012 at 06:48

Can someone tell me what they said on the video? My computer is messed up so videos and games don’t work. I really wanted to watch this!!!

17. Project Inspired

Posted by jlm on July 24, 2012 at 19:34

Thank you for posting this! Many girls on Facebook complain that “all guys are the same” and this showed me that not all guys want women for their looks. It’s way more important to be beautiful inside than be “beautiful” on the outside. To remind myself of this, I wrote Proverbs 31:30 on my mirror: Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”. Now every time I look at myself in the mirror I can remember that 🙂

• Grace280

Posted by Grace280 on July 25, 2012 at 00:40

It is so hard not to be of this world my mom actually buys me short shorts and tells me it is ok if you can see the back of your bra
      it is just hard
      and even my grandma told me that i should show off my long legs!

• Project Inspired

Posted by Bmac on July 29, 2012 at 13:12

i’ll be praying for you! how bout if you tell your mom you want longer shorts? my family got pictures taken and we gave some to my grandma and when she came to my oldest sister’s picture she said “woah Melissa sexy eyes. Weird!! reply and tell me how it goes!

18. Project Inspired

Posted by bekah99 on July 24, 2012 at 11:51

This really helps. Thank you Nicole!

19. Project Inspired

Posted by Country Christian Girl on July 24, 2012 at 09:52

LOVE this article! :). It helps so much! 🙂

20. Project Inspired

Posted by sarahgorton12 on July 23, 2012 at 21:27

Awesome video! The right kind of godly men willl be attracted to modesty. Its great to be encouraged in this way and to know that dressing modestly also pleases our Father in heaven. Praise Jesus! 🙂

21. bubbletealuver

Posted by bubbletealuver on July 23, 2012 at 19:44

This is really cool! Thanks for the advice 🙂 I’ve been really struggling with modesty lately–I feel like God’s calling me to be more modest, but it’s been hard for me. I guess I really do base a lot of my beauty on how I look on the outside 😛 I definitely want to dress in a way that honors God, though. It’s just hard to find the perfect balance of still being cute and fashionable, and being modest.

22. Project Inspired

Posted by immaspaz on July 22, 2012 at 20:58

Guys like this give me hope for the world. <3

23. Project Inspired

Posted by cori.cowz@gmail.com on July 22, 2012 at 16:10

Great video I think it will help us with many things that come our way when it comes to the way we dress and dating

24. Project Inspired

Posted by jesussaves on July 22, 2012 at 14:34

I agree with this! I used to think that the best way to attract guys was to wear “sexy” clothing. But then one day I realized–If I really want a guy to like me for me, he shouldn’t like me because of my body, or because I’m “hot”, because all of those things are temporary. A guy should like me for my personality and who I am.

If you want a GOOD guy to like you, dress classy, not trashy.
    However you dress is what you attract.

25. Project Inspired

Posted by lynn1994 on July 21, 2012 at 20:45

Yes, definitely we should help the guys out and not show them the outside,its just distracting them in the bad way. Show them the inside(they want to know whats in your heart), so lets distract them with our personality and be modest!

26. bethechange14

Posted by bethechange14 on July 21, 2012 at 16:08

I absolutely love that video ! 🙂 (and this post) Society these days pressures girls so much into relationships and just being these unhealthy minded people. It’s so encouraging to see that there are guys out there who are really faithful and really want a genuine girl. People don’t realize how much of a big deal dating is. I mean, come on! You date because you may potentially want to marry that person!

27. pinkgodlover

Posted by pinkgodlover on July 21, 2012 at 08:45

i think that this is good for every girl to watch,alot of times i see girls who are wearing low tank tops or really short shorts and that’s definitely not the way i wanna dress.

28. Project Inspired

Posted by Karla.J.Lewis on July 21, 2012 at 08:09

that is a great video and article it will make me think before i act around guys, it will also make me focus on being modest in front of guys and everyone!

29. Project Inspired

Posted by graciejj_23 on July 21, 2012 at 08:06

haha they’re right!!! Those guys got their sense

30. Project Inspired

Posted by J.Grace.M on July 20, 2012 at 20:06

My mom always tells me, “Don’t advertise what your not selling.” and I agree completely. I hate how hard it is to find good,modest shorts… I buy boys shorts! LOL they are comfortable and very modest. 🙂

31. Project Inspired

Posted by AmandaTheRedPanda on July 20, 2012 at 17:48

this girl is a very good blogger… Would you wear it, say it, do it or think it if Jesus was sitting next to you?
    Would you want a random stranger coming over and touching you where unneccesary skin is exposed?

32. Project Inspired

Posted by JennaBel on July 20, 2012 at 15:53

I want to marry all of them. 🙂 Haha, that’s a joke, but seriously. I love this, these guys know what they’re talking about. They’re realistic. It’s nice to know there are still guys out there looking for girls like that, that it’s still reality and not just a fantasy come today. I love it, awesome article!! 😀

And I just have to say this. I love the guys towards the end that says, “High school guys have no idea what they’re doing.” Hahaha! I was cracking up!! 😀

33. Project Inspired

Posted by PagiePoo on July 20, 2012 at 14:13

Omgosh I needed to hear this. I always l thought guys wanted to see “me”. I’m deff gonna listen to this. I have a real problem about dressing right cause for one, the time were in it’s hard to find cute clothes that are modest and on top for me I am big chested so it’s hard to keep “the girls” in check. My cousin came over not to long ago and I didn’t think anything was wrong with my shirt. Apparently there was because when he left the room the ladys told me that his eyes bugged out when I walked in cause my shirt was low and reveling. MY OWN COUSIN. Thanks guys. I needed this…

34. Project Inspired

Posted by Sunshine Shadow 59 on July 20, 2012 at 14:11

I agree with these guys! I feel ashamed right now because I’m wearing finger length shorts and I’m tall so it makes the shorts look shorter, but what you wear in my opinion will attract people based on what you wear

35. Project Inspired

Posted by Domino on July 20, 2012 at 13:15

This was a survey that the writers of Do Hard Things made a few years back. The questions were ones girls were asking, and the answers are from guys of all ages (I think there’s even some answers from adults in there). Just in case anyone is interested in looking…

36. leahgrace99

Posted by leahgrace99 on July 20, 2012 at 12:55

Absolutely awesome! This totally helps me with staying modest! It really helps to hear this from guys for a change.:)

37. Project Inspired

Posted by lilycosette17 on July 20, 2012 at 12:09

one of the guys in that video is a camp counselor at a camp i went to…

38. kala12395

Posted by kala12395 on July 20, 2012 at 11:23

Awesome article!!

39. Project Inspired

Posted by Kathrie on July 20, 2012 at 11:12

It’s always a shock to me when I hear guys talking about how they don’t like those kind of clothes. I’ve never really known guys, and sadly I think I’ve based my opinion of them from things like tv shows.

• Livelikeurdying

Posted by Livelikeurdying on July 21, 2012 at 10:31

Wow this is just plain awesome. This just inspires me to dress modestly wherever I go. I LOVE THIS. Thanks for posting this!! It helps hearing this from guys.

40. Project Inspired

Posted by Ginger_who_loves_Jesus on July 20, 2012 at 10:44

I really don’t like it when I go by the tween girl’s section of a store and they have the shorts so short that if you actually put your hand in the pockets, you can see them beneath the shorts. My shorts go to my knee. It’s the only thing I’m comfortable with. Tank tops are awesome underneath clothes 🙂 They keep you covered up and are super comfy 🙂
    There’s a lot of girls in my youth group that wear what I call “vag shorts” which are literally so short they look like underwear. It’s so gross. And they wear low-cut shirts and stuff. Note to you guys: even if the shirt that you have on is covered up by a tank-top, most guys are taller than you and can probably see down your shirt. Just sayin’.

41. Project Inspired

Posted by iluv2dance4god@yahoo.com on July 20, 2012 at 10:42

Totally agree with those guys! Immodest clothes are everywhere now and sometimes it’s even hard to find clothes to buy.
    P.s. I’m waiting on God for a guy like the men in the video 🙂

42. Project Inspired

Posted by haley_nicole_4_Christ on July 20, 2012 at 07:56

Truth:
    Boys’ hormones are TEN TIMES worse than girls!! I seriously pity them because sometimes they can’t control what there body thinks. So I’m here to just tell the truth. You can never say (well, if your a teen girl) that your BF doesn’t even want sex. I’m telling you now…he probably does. But the part that determines whether he’s worthy of your love or not is if he decides to go against his thoughts and NOT pressure you into doing immodest and sexual things. 🙂

• Project Inspired

Posted by Godgirl1994 on July 30, 2012 at 08:33

very true! guys have it harder and if the want the can controle themselves. but we can help by not making it harder on the buy showing off everything we have.

• Project Inspired

Posted by Girl4God on July 20, 2012 at 12:28

This is so true! Boys can’t help it. It’s part of their nature.
      I went to church camp that’s on a beach, so naturally we are gonna be in swimsuits. The leaders made rules about how they have to be one piece and that when we were out of the water we had to have shorts. But it wasn’t for the girls, it was to help the guys.
      So boys can’t help it, but we can try to help them.

43. Project Inspired

Posted by ilysaportax3 on July 20, 2012 at 07:49

The issue is that most Christian girls listen to what non Christian guys have to say. Why in the world should you care what they think?! The type of men that you should want to be with, the REAL men know that true beauty isn’t in between the boobs or the butt, it’s in the heart.

Only empty girls need to show everything off.

44. Dancer16

Posted by Dancer16 on July 20, 2012 at 07:40

You are definitely right! Girls think “I can wear what I want, if a guy looks at me the wrong way it’s HIS problem.” and yea he shouldn’t be thinking about that stuff, but you’re definitely not helping him do the right thing by going around dressed immodestly!

45. AllForTheKing

Posted by AllForTheKing on July 20, 2012 at 06:57

I really like this video! That’s exactly how I feel about it as well. Paul told us we will be held accountable for causing our brothers to sin. I wish girls on here would understand that.

46. lotr1997

Posted by lotr1997 on July 20, 2012 at 06:47

I so agree with these guys, and I am a girl! I feel so awkward around my youth group girls because I don’t wear low cut tops, or tops that show my belly when I lift my arms. I never wear above the knee skirts, but some skirts that girls wear are barely there! It’s nice to know that there are guys who agree with me!

47. Paris

Posted by Paris on July 20, 2012 at 00:43

Nicole,here is a video that should be added to this article!

48. Paris

Posted by Paris on July 20, 2012 at 00:35

I have never dressed immodestly,but this makes me not want to dress immodestly even more.

49. Project Inspired

Posted by prolife4life on July 19, 2012 at 23:30

i hated it when the guy said that we are being degrading to ourselves. in my opinion thats not something you should say its not your right to say if someone is being degrading to themselves or not

• sparklesgurl

Posted by sparklesgurl on July 22, 2012 at 14:49

degrading simply means “a loss of self respect”. When I see people who dress immodestly my first thought is that they are grasping for security in the way that they dress. I see it that way because this is something i struggle with
      I think of modestly and purity being somewhat the same. They are like a wedding cake:
      If you share any part of your body (or your heart) before your wedding day it is like a cake that’s had maybe even just a little piece taken off. it is no longer whole or beautiful. This is something that i struggle with a lot (modesty)because I really like to be friendly, and that can sometimes come across as flirty. If you girls would pray for God’s wisdom in my life and this issue specifically I really would appreciated it! <3

• violinist4Him

Posted by violinist4Him on July 20, 2012 at 09:50

But it’s true. When you dress immodestly, you’re giving parts of yourself away. When you take something out of it’s whole, the thing becomes less. So when you dress immodestly, you’re degrading yourself.

• bonbon008

Posted by bonbon008 on July 20, 2012 at 15:59

Exactly. Your giving your self away. And when guys look at girls with a weird look and you don’t like it it’s probably because your dressing immodestly. Just putting that out there.

50. Project Inspired

Posted by KeilaAnn on July 19, 2012 at 22:23

Ha, “Won’t wear it to Grandma’s, don’t wear it outside of the house.” I love it. It’s almost like my mom telling me “If you won’t be comfy in it while in God’s presence, don’t wear it.” 🙂 I love this article T.M. Gaouette!