Ladies, Christians are called to know, love and serve God as they wait in “joyful hope for the coming of the Lord.” But what does it mean to know, love and serve God?
I’m going to discuss those three aspects in separate posts. In this post I’m focusing on knowing God. Many Christians are familiar with the question “Do you know God?” And as Christians, we usually reply with a yes. But do you really know God?
To know God means to know Him in the same sense as you know a friend. How much do you know a friend? Is she your BFF, an every-day friend, an acquaintance or someone you pass in the hall? Now ask the same question in regard to God. Is He your BFF or someone you just pass in the hall?
Ladies, in order to really know God, you need to build a relationship with Him. And as with any friendship, you need to nurture and strengthen that relationship daily. Let’s consider this from a different perspective. Let’s consider a crush!
How much do you like to know about your crush? Let’s be honest—everything, right? What he likes and doesn’t like, where he hangs out, where he lives. When it comes to our crushes, we check them out on Facebook regularly. Are you this obsessed with God?
However you are with the friends you love or the boys you’re crushing on, you should be more enamored with the Almighty. He loves us more than our BFF and certainly more than our crush.
Here are five ways you can really get to know God.
- Emulate Jesus. What better way to know God than to live as His Son did? We can never be as loving as Jesus was. We as humans are flawed. But that’s not an excuse not to try. So, strive to be like Jesus in your behavior and actions, and you will come to know God better.
- Look at His Works. God’s creation is an amazing indication of who He is and what He wants from us. It’s in the way the world works when we follow His Way versus how it falls apart or doesn’t work when we don’t follow His way. As we learn more and more about His world, we get a better understanding of God.
- Spend time with Him. Whether it’s on your knees in prayer, in your mind as you go through your day, during worship time in church or in quiet moments of meditation, spend time with Him daily. Partake in the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist often, if your church offers them. God is your Father and your friend. He’s with you all day for as long as you let Him in. So, make Him your life.
- Read about Him. Scripture is God inspired. It’s the living Word. He wants us to read His Word because it will guide us toward our salvation. To really understand scripture, read the whole Bible and you will understand the messages better than if you just memorize verses.
- Share Him with others. Just like you love to talk about your crush to your friends and others, talk about how amazing our God is with those who love Him also. Share your own knowledge. Talking about God, sharing His message and just lifting Him up in praise is a great way to come to know Him through others.
Ladies, to know God is to build and strengthen your relationship with Him. There are many ways you can do this that go farther than those I’ve offered above. Take advantage of them. Be on fire. Be obsessed. It’s the only way you’re really going to know Him fully.
Ladies, do you know God?
Contact me via social media for any questions, advice, prayer or just to say hello:
Find more posts on what it means to know, love and serve God here: