Beauty & Fashion
What To Do If You’re Being Teased About Your Purity Ring!
Written by Aysha Ives | December 6, 2011
Someone recently shared with me that there’s a growing number of girls who have decided to make a vow of purity. Not only that, but many of them take their vows so seriously that they choose to wear purity rings! I think this is absolutely FABULOUS and I want to take a minute to congratulate each girl who’s made this life altering vow!
What an awesome way to glorify God! You’re sharing with the world that you’ve decided to be obedient unto God and WAIT until you’re married to have sex! We’re proud of you here at Project Inspired and more importantly, GOD is proud of you!
Although this is a GREAT decision, I know that it can come with some difficulties. People who don’t understand your lifestyle may say things that are hurtful or downright cruel. Interacting with mean people and peers who don’t understand you or your Godly decisions can be tough.
However, it’s really important for you to remember that you’re God’s daughter. Your customs are different from the world’s customs!
Keep in mind that God will never ask you to do something that you’re not equipped to do. What this means is that you’re already spiritually equipped with EVERYTHING that you need to handle the teasing that may accompany your Godly decisions. It’s tough being different, but always remember that God wants YOU to be the leader. Here are some tips to help you overcome the teasing:
- Pray regularly. Ask God to give you the strength that you need. Ask Him to work on the hearts of your peers so they’ll feel bad for mistreating you. Also, pray for their salvation in hopes that they’ll also begin to embrace the ways of God.
- Put on your armor EVERY DAY! God knows that it’s tough living for Him, so He gives us instructions on how to deal with attacks such as teasing. The Bible says this:
So stand firm. Put the belt of truth around your waist. Put the armor of godliness on your chest. Wear on your feet what will prepare you to tell the good news of peace. Also, pick up the shield of faith. With it you can put out all of the flaming arrows of the evil one. Put on the helmet of salvation. And take the sword of the Holy Spirit. The sword is God’s word (Ephesians 6:14-17).
- Use humor to deflect the situation. Often, when people realize just how silly their teasing sounds, they’ll back off. However, be careful that your humor isn’t hurtful and that it doesn’t become teasing itself.
- Wear your ring with pride! Use questions or comments about your purity ring as an opportunity to witness to others. Before you speak, ask The Holy Spirit for the words to say and the courage to say them!
- Be committed to your vow. Don’t allow the reactions of others to deter you. God is counting on YOU to set an example for your peers.
- Remember that it’s NEVER too late to take a vow of purity. Even if you’ve had sex in the past, you can choose to take the vow today. God is waiting with open arms for you to make the right decision.
I can’t emphasize enough how proud I am of you girls!