Ladies, we are Christians, right? Well, one thing that all Christians have in common, whether Catholic or Protestant, is the Holy Bible. Scripture is the Word. It’s the Truth. The Bible is our guide to our faith and to our life. And yet, how many Christians have actually read the whole Bible?
Even though the Bible is made up of many books written by different people, the Book itself tells one story written under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. And because of this, we should all read the whole Bible through at least once. This doesn’t mean we should read the Bible only once, but rather, we should read the whole Bible at least once, all the way through, and then continue to read it throughout our lives, in whatever order we choose.
St. Augustine stated that “The New Testament is concealed in the Old, and the Old Testament is revealed in the New.” So check out these five reasons why all Christians should read the whole Bible at least once.
- You will better understand God’s complete Word if you’ve read the whole thing instead of only bits and pieces. You would never read any other book in small, random increments, right? Scripture only makes sense if you read the whole thing. For example, much of the New Testament relates to the Old Testament. Lots of nonbelievers and even some believers like to argue that Christians are hypocrites because they choose to follow some laws in the Old Testament and not follow others. But if you read the whole Bible, you’ll understand why some old laws were voided and others were not. The Bible is made up of many books written by lots of authors, but they all come together. Verses don’t stand alone, and Truths about such topics as salvation, faith and love are not clarified in one verse.
- If it’s part of scripture, it’s obviously important. If it’s in the Book, it’s in there for a reason, right? Again, certain books and verses may not make complete sense when they stand alone. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 reads, “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.”
- Everyone should read the book upon which their faith is founded. The Holy Bible is the only book that defines our faith. God didn’t inspire any other book. And even though it’s 2,000 years old, it’s still God’s Word and He is consistent. The Apostle Paul reiterated this in Romans 15:4 when he wrote, “For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, so that by steadfastness and by the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope.”
- As Christians, we are called to share the Gospel, and we can’t do that if we haven’t read it. I mean, think about it. How are we supposed to share God’s Word, explain it and use it for teaching if we’re not knowledgeable about it? Unfortunately, we live in a time when so many people twist and use scripture to justify their own agendas, and how are we to respond if we’re not equipped with the Truth ourselves?
- If you don’t know it well, others will use it against you. Sorry, but no one should know scripture better than a Christian. Have you ever had someone quote scripture you weren’t familiar with? Did it stop you in your tracks because you’d never read it or knew about it? That shouldn’t happen to a Christian. You should know the Word! We are supposed to be living it, after all. A great example of this is when the Sadducees asked Jesus about the resurrection (Matthew 22:29-33): “But Jesus answered them, ‘You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God: ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living. And when the crowd heard it, they were astonished at his teaching.” Jesus uses the scriptures to answer the Sadducees. Scripture was as relevant back then as it is today.
Ladies, scripture is the Word of God. It’s the ultimate guide to our faith. Everything we need to know as Christians can be found in this amazing book. God inspired it so that you would have guidance here on earth. Don’t take it for granted.
Ladies, have you read the whole Bible at least once?