Ladies, Christianity is the faith that we all share. But so often we get caught up in the denominations that separate us. We use them to drive a wedge between us, and we are so desperate to save our friends who we feel have chosen wrongly.
I believe denominations are one of Satan’s way of trying to divide and conquer the church. Jesus said, “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.” Therefore, we cannot let satan prevail.
At the end of the day, how much do denominations matter? And should they divide us? I say, absolutely not! Denominations set us apart in the way that they define our beliefs based on the way that they understand scripture. But what we all seem to forget is that there’s an underlying truth that all our denominations share, and these are what we should focus on when we as Christians come together.
I’m not going to point out specific denominations and the things that set them apart. Instead, I’m going to remind you of the things that all Christians agree on.
Christians beliefs are founded upon the Gospel, and with that said, all Christians believe the following:
- There is only one God.
- God is the Creator of heaven and earth.
- God is the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Bible is the Word of God.
- God sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins.
- God loves all of us.
- God hates sin.
- Sin separates us from God.
- God gave us free will to choose Him.
- God wants us to choose Him so we can live for eternity with Him in heaven.
- Jesus Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
- Jesus suffered, was crucified and died on the cross under Pilate.
- Jesus rose on the third day.
- Jesus ascended into Heaven.
- Jesus will come again on judgment day.
- God’s amazing Grace saves us.
- God forgives our sins if we ask Him to.
- We are to show our love and devotion to Him by following His commandments.
I could go on…and as I write this list, I’m further convinced that there are so many common beliefs within the Christian denominations that it makes no sense to focus so much on the differences.
Ladies, denominations came about because some Christians didn’t agree with certain aspects of existing denominations. So, people broke away from them and created something else more fitting to their beliefs. But if we eliminate denominations in the order that they were created, we’ll find that they were all derived from one. And this is the one that ultimately brings all the denominations together with its core beliefs.
Jesus said that Satan would not prevail in his desire to divide the church. So, let’s not get lost in denominations. Allow yours to guide you in your faith, but don’t let it exclude others who share the fundamental truths that are important to all Christians.
Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in agreement and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same purpose. (1 Corinthians 1:10)
In a perfect world, we’d all be the same denomination. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. So, if that cannot be accomplished, at least not yet, we should still try to remain loyal to each other as followers of Christ. We live in a Godless world, ladies, and not only do we need God to guide us through the chaos, but we also need each other for added support.
Ladies, do you think that Christian denominations should put aside their differences?