Why I Do the Same 5 Things Every Evening
Written by Phylicia Masonheimer | January 2, 2019
The way to a great morning routine? An evening routine! I’ve shared how to create an awesome evening routine before, but if you need some ideas for the new year, this post is for you. There’s a reason I do the same five things every evening—things that were at first inconvenient, but are now habits!
Habits are formed by doing the same little things over and over until it becomes routine. These routines save our brain energy, which is why routines decrease your stress over time. Your brain doesn’t have to work so hard; it can just automatically direct you into your tasks once it receives the cue that it’s bedtime.
Following are five things I do every evening to set myself up for a great next morning.
- Clean the entire kitchen. Not floors and cupboards, just counters, dishes and sink. But this leaves the kitchen fresh and ready to go for the morning, and while I’m packing up dinner, I can pack lunches for the next day! I did this when I was single and living with my roommates, just married and in my first apartment, and even now as a working mom with kids. It’s so nice to wake up in the morning without extra dishes to do!
- Take vitamins. Hormonal health is very important to me, so I take several hormone-supporting vitamins in the evening: probiotics, digestive enzymes, B vitamins and more! Sometimes I take magnesium for sleep as well. I drink water or tea to relax while reading. If you want to know more about hormonal health, join me on my health-related Instagram page.
- Look at my plan for the next day. What appointments are coming up? What’s on the agenda? What work tasks need to be done? I want to be sure I’m prepared for what’s coming the next day. Taking a glance at the schedule will help you feel more prepared for the demands of the next day. You can set out clothes, workout gear, lunches, etc., appropriately.
- Skincare routine. I have really sensitive skin right now, so I have to be careful with my skin during flareups. I take time to remove my makeup, wash my face and wind down for bedtime. Sometimes I will also take this time to touch up my nail polish or clean jewelry.
- Do one thing I enjoy. After I’ve picked up the house, cleaned the kitchen, planned the next day and taken care of my body, I do one thing I enjoy. This might be watching a show, having a friend over for a bit or reading. Sometimes it’s catching up on a manuscript or some work, but I usually choose reading! It’s a great way to get away from my phone’s blue light and dive into my latest book.
I hope these five habits gave you an idea for your own evening routine. The new year is a fantastic time to set up a simple routine and post it on your bathroom mirror. Pretty soon what used to be a task will become a habit!