Will You Take the Challenge to Start Helping More People Today?
Written by Aysha Ives | December 3, 2012
I’ve recently made a commitment to be more generous toward others and I’d like for you to join me! God is the creator of all people and it’s my firm belief that when we help others, we’re pleasing and honoring GOD Himself.
Now, this doesn’t mean you should allow people to take advantage of you, so it’s important to set boundaries! However, what this does mean is you’re more intentional about helping others.
Will you take the challenge to love in a more generous manner? Before you decide, consider these five reasons why we should help others more:
- When you help others, you’re helping yourself. In Matthew 22:39, Jesus commands us to love others the way we love ourselves. Therefore, when we see someone else in need, we should help that person. When God sees that you’re obediently showing compassion, then He in turn sends people to help YOU get what you need and want. Remember, the system to receive in God’s Kingdom is to give first!
- Helping others allows you to keep the right perspective. If you make it a point to give often, you stop focusing on yourself and start focusing on the needs of others. When you can focus on others more than yourself, then God can use you more in The Kingdom. Don’t forget about how completely unselfish Jesus was when He chose to give up His life for His people.
- Helping people improves your discipleship! When you give of yourself to help others, you’re demonstrating the love of Jesus to people who may not know Him. You never know–one kind act might be the difference between someone deciding to choose Jesus and someone walking away from Jesus. How amazing would it be if someone found salvation after experiencing the love of God through you?!
- Give unselfishly so that you can set the example! When others see how generous you are, that may inspire them to start giving to others as well. Could you imagine how great it would be if everyone was always giving? Our communities would be like the church in the book of Acts and no one would ever be in need! Remember, God is counting on you to be a leader!
- Helping others just feels good! Have you ever noticed how incredible it feels when you help another person? It shouldn’t be too surprising. God made us in His image and He rejoices in giving us our hearts’ desires. It’s amazing, but in essence we were actually created to experience joy when we help other people!
If you need some inspiration, see the article 5 Ways You Can Help Someone to get you started!
If you decide to take this challenge, we want to know! Tell us how you’re being more intentional about helping the people in your life and/or community!