Your Dream Date vs. Dating in Reality
Written by Kendall Marie | February 10, 2017
Ladies, you win some and you lose some, especially when it comes to dating. Why? Because dating in real life is never quite up to par with the ideal dates (with ideal guys) that you envision in your head.
Here’s a look at those occasions when the two plot lines don’t quite match up.
1. Dream date scenario: You’re having a perfect hair day. In fact, “perfect” doesn’t even sum it up, so we’ll throw “fabulous,” “exquisite” and “simply divine” in there, too.
Reality: Your hair can be a little unruly, so you decided to treat yourself to a pre-date blowout.
That was a mistake….
2. Dream date scenario: Your all-time favorite jam plays twice while you’re getting all dolled up. Needless to say, you’re feeling pretty amped.
Reality: The one song that reminds you of “him,” aka the ex-boyfriend you’ve been avoiding for weeks, is the first song to hit your ears.
You feel this is a very, very bad omen.
3. Dream date scenario: You shimmy into that back-of-the-closet dress you’ve never been quite sure if you can pull off, and suddenly—you can.
Now, you’re a humble gal, but even you can’t help sneaking a second glance in the mirror.
Reality: You can’t find your go-to outfit anywhere. And then you do…in your sister’s hamper. Is that a ketchup stain?
4. Dream date scenario: It’s finally happening.
His favorite song is Hillsong United’s “Oceans,” which is funny because your favorite song is Hillsong United’s “Oceans.”
BOOM. Instant connection.
Reality: It’s finally happening…but you’re both still dipping your toes into the dating-scene waters.
After about five minutes, it’s so painfully awkward that you’ve actually begun to sweat.
5. Dream date scenario: Your super forward-thinking date has already made a reservation for two at a restaurant so wildly popular that the wait is usually three months, give or take a day.
It’s all so romantic. The only thing missing is this:
And then even that happens.
Reality: He’s a “chicken nuggets and fried pickles” kind of guy…so he takes you to a restaurant that doesn’t even have a women’s restroom.
6. Dream date scenario: Four hours have passed, and you haven’t even noticed. Over dessert, you discuss the literary brilliance of C. S. Lewis.
Reality: “Who’s C. S. Lewis?”
Side note: His mouth is full.
7. Dream date scenario: He talks about how he attends church regularly and subscribes to the notion that sound values are of the utmost importance in any relationship. Don’t you agree?
(And he’s being totally honest.)
Reality: You think he’s preparing to share some sort of personal insight he gleaned from the Word, but you really just have something lodged in your teeth and he’s trying to decide how to tell you without making things weird.
There’s really just no way.
8. Dream date scenario: You’ve had the most incredible evening, and he tells you he feels the same way.
You’re both maybe two or three follow-up dates from this:
Reality: He didn’t realize this was a date, so when you thank him for it…
And later, your friends:
Okay, so that last one was pretty bad. But here’s the thing: No date is perfect. Even the best ones. But it really (seriously) is all those unexpected and perhaps even uncomfortable moments that make for a genuine, lasting connection.
And hey—worst case scenario, you walk away with a good story.